Chapter 41

Damien

"Where are we going?" I asked Nate.

"Patience," he responded.

"Why all this car changes?" I asked.

"Just a precaution to make sure we're not being followed."

"Will you just tell me where we're going?" I asked. Somehow I had a clue though. But I just don't know how possible.

"You wanted answers. Well, you're a few steps away from them," He said as we pulled over to a house.

"Go. She's waiting for you inside," Nate said.

Hallie.

Am I ready for this? I know that I've been wanting answers, but I'm afraid I'm not going to like them.

"I'll wait for you here," he said and nodded towards the house. There was a protective detail roaming outside the house.

"Thanks," I said to Nate before stepping out of the car.

There were two officers posted by the front door who nodded in my direction.

"You can go in, sir," one of them said.

I opened the door and walked in and saw Vin.

I stiffened.

"Damien..." he greeted.

He fucking lied to me so forgive me for not being happy to see him.

"I'm sorry," he said. "Look I know you're angry and you have every right to be, but you have to know that she did what she did to protect you and I lied because it wasn't the right time for you to know the truth," he explained.

I sighed and continued to remain silent.

"She's out in the back waiting for you," he said and left.

I walked over and headed to the back of the house. She was sitting on a swing in front of a fireplace.

I walked through the french door and watched as she turned towards me.

She looked nervous. But still.... beautiful. Still the woman I love.

"Hi," she said.

"Is this where you've been the whole time?" I asked.

She bit her lip and shook her head. "No. We moved here the day before I had to testify," she said.

"Where were you?" I asked then frowned. "Am I allowed to ask you that?" I asked.

"I'll answer any question you have," she replied. "I was in a small town in Idaho. Vin and I were together. My cover name was Hilary Jones and he was my dad who was a retired cop," she shrugged.  The irony isn't lost in me either. "I worked as a librarian," she added. 

I nodded. I don't really know how to do this, I thought to myself.

She continued to look at me. I can feel her eyes on me even if I was looking anywhere but at her.

"Damien...."

"What's going to happen after the trial?" I asked interrupting her. "Are you heading back there?"

She frowned. "Is that what you want?" She asked softly.

That did it! "No. But like you've taught me, we don't always get what we want, do we?" I snapped.

She took a shaky breath and stood up. She walked closer to me. "Damien... I know you're angry..." she started to say, but I didn't let her finish.