Chapter 3

Hallie

Please. Please. Please.

I can't be late. Not again.

I ran as quickly as I can to get to the diner. I've still got a couple blocks to go and I only have a couple minutes.

Damn it.

I can't lose this job. I just can't.

I ran faster even knowing that it would be impossible to make it on time.

When I got there, Henry, the manager was waiting for me with an angry look on his face.

"How nice of you to show up," he sneered.

"I'm so sorry. There was an emergency with my daughter and," he held his hand up to silence me.

Michy has was running a fever the whole night and Sally got back home a little later than usual, and I had to wait for her before I could leave for work. I can't afford not to show up, but I guess it doesn't matter anyways since I came late. Henry will probably fire me. I'll just have to beg him to give me another chance.

"That's the third time this week."

"I know. It won't happen again. I promise. I'll just work later today."

"That's what you said the last time, and the time before that, and the time before that," he pointed out angrily. "You're fired. "Here's your last check and clear your locker and get the hell out."

"No. Please. I need this job!" I pleaded.

"You should have thought of that before coming in late!"

"But," I tried to argue but he stopped me and said, "get your things or I'll call the police."

"I'm so sorry, Hallie," Jenna said, as she touched my arm.

"It's not your fault. Thanks for trying to cover for me," I said.

She nodded.

I went to the back to clear out my locker, all the while trying to keep my tears at bay. I needed this job. Now I lost it.

What am I going to do now? My second job doesn't pay me much. It's not enough for rent or for food.

I checked my locker one last time before grabbing all of my things.

"He's a bastard," Jenna said. "He needs you more than you need him," she said.

I smiled. I doubt that. I need this job. I need the money.

"Thanks, Jenna. For everything."

She nodded. "Don't be a stranger."

I nodded.

"Jenna, if you don't want to be the next one fired then you better do your job!" The asshole shouted.

"I better go," I said and left.

I stepped out into the sun and took a deep breath.

The streets were busy with people passing by, sounds of horns, and cars passing by, and yet everything around seemed to be moving in slow motion.

I turned and bumped into a hard chest.

"Sorry," I said and moved around him and started walking.

Damien

"Sir, Mr. Reid has called asking for a meeting with you," my secretary said.

"Just tell him my schedule is full," I said.