Chapter 15

Damien

"Will you tell me who you're running from?" I asked.

She simply looked back at me, so I looked at her encourgingly.

She took a deep breath and said, "A monster."

Before I could ask her what she further, the baby monitor alerted as that Ty was awake.

"I better go get him," Hallie said, as she moved to get up. 

I nodded. "He must be hungry. I'll make him something to eat.  Would he like a grilled cheese sandwich?"

She smiled and nodded. "He loves them. I don't get to make it for him often, but when I do, it's definitely a treat." The smile died on her face as if realizing she's said too much. 

I smiled back. "I'll get started on it then," I said, trying to lighten things up. "He also needs another dose of medicine. You can find it at the end table beside the bed."

"Thanks."

She headed back to the bedroom, while I headed back to the kitchen to fix Ty up something to eat. 

Grilled cheese sandwich... something so simple and something I, myself take for granted and to Ty is a seldom treat he gets once in a while. My heart ached at the thought. Suddenly, I thought back to how I found them. Hallie digging around for a twenty dollar bill. No one should never have to go through such hardship, nor worry about what they're going to eat, or how much money they have left.

"Da-yan," I heard a tiny voice say from behind me, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"Hey buddy. Feeling better?"

He nodded, before throwing himself at me, catching me off guard, but I moved quick enough that I caught him in my arms.

Hallie looked perplexed, me on the other hand, felt comfortable, like I've been carrying him in my arms for as long as I can remember.  

"I heard you love grilled cheese," I said.

Ty's eyes widened and he nodded enthusiastically. 

"I love gilled cheese,' he said, making me chuckle.

"Good. Because I made you a yummy one." I scooped his grilled cheese of the pan and put it on a plate. "We gotta wait a minute thought because it's very hot."

"I can cut them up in smaller pieces," Hallie said, as she grabbed the plate to do just that.

"Michy still fast asleep?" I asked Hallie as she was cutting.

She nodded. "She sleeps like a log, so I'm not surprised."

"You should probably head on back to bed too. You need to rest as much as you can. You don't have to worry about Ty, I can take care of him."

"You really don't gave to do that and..."

"Hallie, you know the doctors orders. Plenty of rest and vitamins. After a night like last night, you need rest even more so now."

"But," she tried to argue.

"Like I said, you'll be of no use to Ty and Michy if you don't take care of yourself." I didn't miss the way she looked at the kind-size bed when I brought her to their room.  The longing look she had.  I guessed that she probably hadn't had a good night's sleep in a long time, or a comfortable bed to lay in.  But what surprised me even more was the urge that took over me.  I wanted her in my bed. In my arms.  I wanted to keep her safe in my arms and to never let her go.

I shook my head. What the hell? I wanted them all safe in my arms. I wanted them to be mine.  To by family. To belong to me.  I wanted Hallie to belong to me.  To be mine.  My woman.