Chapter 9

Hallie

"You fucking bitch! Where the hell do you think you're going?" Marcus asked.

"Please. Please. Let me go. Let us go!"

He laughed mercilessly. "You think you can run from me? After everything that I've done for all of you? You think you can run and take my kids with you?"

"Marcus, please!"

"You're fucking mine! All of you are mine and I'll kill you before you even think about leaving!" He growled before slapping me hard on the face.

I could hear Tyler and Michy crying.

"Shut up!" He yelled angrily at them.

They cried even more.

"Fucking brats!" He growled as he stalked towards them.

"No!" I screamed.

I shot up in bed, sweaty and panting.

I looked around me and for a moment I was confused. Then I remembered, Damien. Last night. Everything.

Suddenly the door bursts open and there he was, with a worried expression on his face.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked.

"Where's Tyler and Michy?" I croaked out.

"They're having breakfast with me. I left them with Martha, my housekeeper when I heard you scream. Scared the hell out of me!"

I grimaced. "Sorry."

"Bad dream?"

"Something like that," I said.

I noticed a few bags next to the bed.

"Those are for you. Why don't you take a few minutes to yourself and then you can come join us for breakfast when you're ready," he suggested.

"That's not really necessary. I've got clothes back at my place and we should really get going. It was kind of you to let us stay the night, but..."

"I have a job offer for you," he interrupted. "Please. Just stay a bit longer so we can discuss the job."

I frowned.

"I'm sure you'd want to freshen up. Please take the clothes and the bathroom is through that door. There's an extra toothbrush in the cabinet under the sink. Join us for breakfast when you're ready," he said again, before leaving me to it.

Does anyone ever say no to this guy?

"But Ty and Michy..."

"Are fine and enjoying their breakfast. Your kids are quite entertaining," he smiled and I nearly melted. He has the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. He's just so damn handsome it should be a crime.

I shook my head. I shouldn't be thinking about him like that.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded. "If you really don't mind then I'd like a few minutes to freshen up," I said.

"Take all the time you need. No rush."

I nodded again.

"Well I better get back and save Martha from Michy. You did tell me that daughter of yours is quite the artist," he said chuckling. Then I noticed the stained spot on his shirt.

I flinched sheepishly. "Yeah, she wears more of her food than she eats. But she doesn't like to be fed either and has no problem letting you know."