Chapter 36

Hallie

"Someone betrayed me," Marcus growled. "Someone who I've trusted."

Fear gripped me. Oh god. We've been caught. We've been caught even before it began. I look over Vin and he looked so calm. Collected. not a worry on his face.

He wasn't giving anything away. But knowing him. I know he's got a plan.

"Vin," Marcus barked. "You're slipping. This shouldn't have gone past you for this long."

Vin nodded.

"But you caught wind of it and discovered who has betrayed me."

Relief cursed through me. But... who?

"I want you all to see what happens when someone crosses me," he said with a smirk. "Bring him to me."

I looked over and it was Xavier. He face was swollen and bruised with fresh blood on the side of his mouth and temple.

I should feel bad, but I don't. Xavier is a monster just like Marcus.

Then I jumped as one shot rang loud and Xavier drops dead to the ground.

"Anyone else who think of betraying me better think twice."

Fear gripped me. Not for myself, but for the people that I love.

If our plan goes south, they'd be in danger. Marcus would not hesitate to kill them. I can't let that happen.

I have to do something.

It's now or never.

I know what I have to do.

Damien. Forgive me. It's the only way.

He will never stop.

Later that night I talked to Vin.

"Change of plans," I said.

He frowned.

"We're going with my plan after all."

"What?" Shock registered on his face.

"It's the only. He will never stop. Even if we succeed in trapping him, he has connections. He'll go after Damien and our kids. I can't let that happen."

"Are you sure about this?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Okay," he said. "But once you do this. There's no going back."

I nodded. "I know." Defeat tugged at me mercilessly.

***

"I'll be yours. But after you sign this," I said to Marcus.

He took the papers out of my hand and read it.

He laughed.

"You want me, then you let Ty and Michy go. I want it in writing," I said.

"You don't trust me?" He smirked.

"Not even a little bit."

He laughed again. "Alright. And when do I get my price?" He asked as he ran a knuckled down my cheek to the valley between breasts. I swallowed the bile that threatened to rise in my throat.

"As soon as it's final and after the wedding."

"You really do think highly of yourself, don't you?"

"I do. But I also know that you love yourself more than anything in this world, which why you would be interested to know that I have everything that will take you down. You'll lose everything."