Chapter 4

Damien

For the next few days, I made sure to stop by at the diner in hopes of seeing her again. I would order coffee and sit there and wait for an hour, sometimes two, and sometimes longer.

I would drop by at random hours hoping to catch her, but not once did I see her.

I was acting like a crazy person, but I didn't care. She intrigued me. I wanted to know who she is. Her story. That's how I found myself wandering inside the diner again today, hoping that I'll get lucky this time.

"Would you like a refill on your coffee, sir?" The waitress asked.

I looked at her tag, it said Jenna.

"Yes, please," I said.

"I hope you don't mind, but I notice you've been coming here everyday, seeming as if you're looking and waiting for someone," she said.

"That obvious?"

She nodded with a smile. "If you weren't wearing expensive clothes and didn't look the way you'd do, I'd be scared and probably calling the cops on you," she said with a chuckle.

I wasn't sure if she was serious or not, but her words worried me. Was I really acting like a crazy stalker?

Yeah. Okay. Fine. Maybe I was, but I just can't get her out of mind.

"Maybe I can help you?"

"I'm actually just looking for this woman. I bumped into her a few days go just outside your diner. She was wearing your uniform and I wasn't looking where I was going and I just wanted to make sure she was alright," I explained.

Great. Just fucking great. Now I sounded crazy.

Her eyebrows rose. "All this trouble for bumping into someone?"

I shrugged. "Like I said, I just wanted to make sure she was okay. She looked worried and scared at the time and my conscience won't let me be."

"What does she look like?" She asked.

Beautiful, blonde, blue eyes that's soft and mysterious. "Blonde wavy hair. Blue eyes, about 5'7..."

"Oh. You're talking about Hallie," she said.

Hallie.

Beautiful name for a beautiful girl.

"Sorry, but she no longer works here."

"She doesn't?"

She shook her head. "You must have bumped into her the day, our asshole of a boss fired her for being late again," she said.

"Oh," I said as disappointment filled me.

"Do you know where I could find her?"

She frowned, probably thinking I was some crazy obsessed stalker. Can't blame her there. Even I feel like I'm obsessed. "Sorry. I wish I could help you."

"Thanks, anyways," I said.

I took one last sip of coffee and dropped ten dollar bill on the table.

So much for seeing her again. All I have is a name and a face to go by.

Fat chance I'll see her again.

Hallie

I knocked and waited for Sally to open the door. I'm exhausted and my feet hurt from walking around all day in these shows. I could feel the blisters on my feet as they rubbed on the inside of these shoes. Sally lent them to me so I could look nicer as I look for a job. But my luck just wasn't there today.