42

two weeks into the break

Harry's pov

i got out of my car, my shades on, nate getting out of the passanger's seat. i closed the door, leaning against it as i stared at my large childhood home, seeing everyone from afar  through the glass windows.

yep, i decided to go. nate objected to this decision, but i kept telling him that this would be the last time we'd ever go. now that i was really here, i wished my pride didn't get in the way.

nate walked around the car, standing by me as he put his hands in the pockets of his trousers. "you ready?" he asked.

i gave the house one last look before i nodded, beginning to walk on the smooth stones of the large circle driveway. in the middle stood a fountain surrounded by flowers and small bushes, and we walked around it, hearing the crowded voices the closer we got to the front door.

as soon as i stepped in, everyone's eyes were on me—i couldn't even recognize one face. they all began to talk, and i heard my name as i continued to walk in, looking for my parents. i just wanted to show them i was here so that i could get the hell out.

they pulled out their phones, their cameras following me as i walked past them, not looking at anyone. i already felt so uncomfortable, my face tense as i looked at nate. i walked quicker, passing by everyone who was dressed elegantly, wine glasses in one hand, phones in the other.

"son, there you are!" my dad said, talking with another couple around his age, all of them laughing.

"can you remove your glasses? it's rude." were the first words my mom whispered to me.

i stared at her, almost in shock before i removed my black shades, holding them as i held my hands behind my back. "sorry, there's just a lot of flash in here." i shrugged, "i wonder why."

"harry meet mr. and mrs. thomas, they drove all the way here for today's event." my dad said, his hand on my shoulder.

i honestly don't care. get your hand off of me.

"it's very nice to meet you, thank you for coming tonight." i said instead, forcing a soft smile as i nodded.

"we're happy to be here, we were just talking to your parents about the charities your family donates to—you guys are the loveliest family." the woman said, holding her glass sophisticatedly in her hands.

the charities i donate to—those of which my parents then add their names on.

"thank you, our family's big on that." i lied, looking at her and her husband as i spoke.

she was dressed like she was supposed to be meeting the royal family, not me. everyone here dressed in suits and dresses. i wore a black turtle neck tucked into black loose fitted trousers, underdressed compared to everyone here.

they began to form more conversation with my parents, and i zoned out, my eyes following whoever spoke. i looked around, noticing nate as he talked with some people. my eyes went around the room as i bit at the inside of my cheek, spotting all the people my age as they stared back at me. i quickly turned my head back towards the small circle i stood in, feeling overwhelmed as i sighed, looking down at my feet.

"harry, can we talk for a moment?" my dad said quietly to me, pulling me to the side.

i didn't have much of a choice, so i nodded, "i need a drink." i stated, starting to walk towards the large bright bar that was showcased, everything clear and clean.