Chapter 44: Decade

Clara's POV - Two Months Later

"You want me to stop?" Nico looked into my eyes, as sweat glistened on his forehead.

I shook my head, "Keep going. I'm fine."

He smiled, "You sure? Your legs are shaking. We can stop, it's fine."

"I said keep going."

He shrugged, "Alright."

We continued jogging atop the wall of New Rome. It was early in the morning and only a few guards patrolled the wall, so we weren't much of a problem.

It was foggy, but not too foggy. There was just a thin layer that lingered in the distance and above the ground.

Nico's pace was much slower than his usual speed, since he wanted to make sure I could keep up.

I took quick, sharp breaths and fought the pain in my side and legs. Finally, I let the pain overtake me. I stopped and leaned against the edge of the wall and puked off the side.

Nico sat next to me and held my hair back for me.

I finished vomiting my breakfast up, and spit, then wiped my mouth on my sleeve. "Ugh...how much did we do?"

Nico looked at his watch, "Almost five miles. Another tenth of a mile and we would have hit it. That's good. Four tenths of a mile longer than yesterday. You're getting your strength back."

I took a deep breath, "My side still hurts though. I still feel like if I push myself too hard it'll open again."

Nico put his arm over my shoulder, "It's been months since you were in the hospital. Your side is healed now. The scar just stretches when you run, so it feels like it'll open, but it won't."

"You sure?"

He laughed, "Absolutely. I have scars all over. They don't open up, they just get stretched when you use the part of the body they're on."

We walked to the nearest tower checkpoint and went back down to the ground level of the kingdom.

The kingdom was waking up now, and more guards were patrolling.

It was always nice walking through the Baker's District and smelling the aroma of breads and pastries being baked. Occasionally, a baker named Troy, or his daughter, Ellie, would give Nico and I a free pastry or sweet bread.

My favorite was sweet bread with this pink sugary frosting on top. It made puking almost every run worth it.

Occasionally, on our walk home we would see Marc. He lived alone in a house a few streets away from our house, so it was rare when we saw him, and we never talked.

Ghost had told us that she tried several times to talk to him, but he would never break. He always seemed so shut away, and that was part of the reason I didn't trust him. I felt like he always knew more than he was letting on.

We walked into the house and were greeted by the smell of bacon and waffles. Rain was cooking, while Bryn was setting the table. She smiled when we walked in.

Rain turned off the stove and nodded towards the hallway, "Wake up Petra and Ghost for me?"

I walked down the hall and knocked at their door. They didn't answer. I opened it and found Petra sleeping with her head buried in Ghost's chest.

I sang, "Waaaake uuuuup."

Ghost jerked her head and opened one eye, "Ugh...Petra...get up."

She rubbed Petra's back and she hummed then rolled over, covering her face with a pillow.

I shut their door and walked back to the kitchen, "They're coming."