Chapter 11: Scimus Deum

Rain's POV

I ran down the dirt trail leading to Tropor. I was only a few feet behind Nico and Draco even though they had a head start.

As we got closer, I could smell the fires and burning flesh. This kingdom was attacked by someone strong. It couldn't have been fiends.

When we reached the blown out city gate, I spotted two dead bodies. Not civilians. Soldiers.

They wore metal armor. The upper torso area was red and silver. They had small red capes or cloaks on too. White feathers tied to their waists hung slightly above the knee. It looked sort of like a skirt. They wore brown leather boots that only went up to their ankles. They had plasma rifles, but also a long sword in the sheath on their side. They had funny looking silver helmets with red feathers on top that looked like a broom.

We walked through the blown out gates. A few civilians laid in the ruble. Fresh. They hadn't started to decompose yet.

I turned around to see Clara holding Nico's hand again with her eyes closed.

Petra and Draco looked pissed. Bill looked stunned. He was dumbfounded. His eyes were wide and his mouth hung open.

The kingdom crumbled around us. Walls fell. Buildings burned. Bodies lined the streets. This attack was well planned and precise. The attackers wanted to make sure every last person died. I think they got what they wanted.

We walked through the burning ruble, the castle sat in ruins in the distance. Only one tower of the castle stood. Even that was missing bricks and was burning.

Bill spoke up, "This...this was my old neighborhood. I grew up here."

He pointed to a burning pile of ruble with a few support beams still barely standing.

We walked down the street more. A woman's body laid in the middle of the street. A bullet hole was in the middle of her back.

Bill stopped and sat next to her body, crying.

"No. No. No! No!! No!!!"
"What!? Bill keep your voice down the attackers still could be around!"
"I don't give a damn! This was...the mother of my child! I recognize her face and body. It's her..."
"You're sure?"
"Yes I'm sure you little asshole!"

Bill looked at me with hate in his eyes. Not sure if it was for me, the attackers, or all of humanity.

"Just leave me here with her. I'll catch up later."

I didn't feel like arguing with a heart broken old man, so we left. We walked on through the crumbling city.

We reached the courtyard of the castle, and to our surprise it was populated. Not by the kingdoms inhabitants, but by the attackers.

Along the edges of the courtyard were crosses with people pinned to them.

The attackers stood in the center. They were dressed in the armor of the two we had found on the outskirts of the city.

One in the middle was dressed slightly different. He was probably the leader.

Instead of his armor being red and silver, it was red and black. He also wore the pelt of a skinned dog on his head. Long fur was attached to his shoulder pads. He held a long, bloody machete.

He was also very tall and muscular. He was at least half a foot taller than Draco, who stood at over six feet tall.

He turned and looked at us. His hollow black eyes seemed to look through me. The huge muscles in his arms bulged with every movement.