Chapter 39: Sanctus

Clara's POV

I woke up curled in a ball by Nico's side. He had his hand on my ass, but I let it slide.

I stretched out my legs and yawned. Our door was open and I saw Rain shuffle down the hallway, rubbing a hand through his hair and yawning.

Nico was still in a deep sleep, so I didn't bother him. I simply kissed his cheek and rolled out of bed.

I walked over to the mirror on the wall and looked at myself. I looked nicer now that I had a shower, but the hideous scars on my face and arms still bothered me. I wasn't the girl that everyone called beautiful just a few months ago.

I wasn't ever worried about my looks, but it was nicer being beautiful than being a scar-covered killer.

Our tattered backpacks sat next to the dresser. My white fiend pants and my torso armor sat next to them. I had worn them since I got them.

I opened the dresser and found a blue dress. I put it on and noticed it was a little longer than I normally would have liked, but I felt better wearing a dress. I felt like I was back in Lightstone.

My mind drifted back to when I was still a part of the Royal Families in Lightstone. When I was still the daughter of the High Judge.

I clenched my eyes and shook my head. I couldn't let my mind go back to that. That was a different Clara. Clara has died multiple times.

She died when she left her parents. Then again when she left Lightstone. Then again when she joined the fiends. Now, she's been reborn as a member of New Rome.

I opened my eyes again. There was a pearl necklace and a pair of diamond earrings in a small box in the corner of the drawer I found the dress in.

The necklace was nice, but I hadn't worn earrings in years. The holes in my ears had closed up.

I put on the necklace. Then went back to the mirror and quickly made my hair look somewhat decent.

I walked down the stairs and found that Rain and Petra were both awake.

Rain was in the kitchen cooking breakfast, and Petra was laying on the couch reading a magazine.

I lifted Petra's legs and sat down, then let them fall back on my legs. "Whatcha reading?"

"Some Old World magazine. I thought they had a lot of food that was available to everyone in the Old World. I don't know why these women are so skinny."

Bryn walked down the stairs wearing a short black dress, "They had lots of food in the Old World. Models just chose not to eat it."

Petra looked up, "Yup...oh. Damn Bryn, you look hot. You too Clara! What's the special occasion?"

I shrugged, "I got tired of looking like a fiend, found a dress, put it on."

Petra stood up, "Well then shit, I'll be right back. I wanna look good too."

Petra walked down the hallway. She was the only one who slept on the first floor.

Bryn sat next to me, "Sleep ok?"

"Yeah. Really good actually. Nice to be in a bed that isn't covered in spider webs and garbage. And you?"

Bryn shook her head, "Woke up once, but...good for the most part."

Rain walked in and handed us both plates of breakfast. Pancakes, bacon, eggs, and a small pile of fried potatoes.

We thanked him then he set two more plates on the table and sat on the armchair with his plate.