Chapter 26: Rebirth

Rain's POV - The next morning

I woke up to the sound of furniture moving downstairs. I jumped up and grabbed a gun. I peaked around the corner of the wall near the stairs and saw Nico pushing a bookshelf back in front of the door.

I whispered, "Nico? What's going on?"

He turned and held up a few dead squirrels and rabbits, "Couldn't sleep so I went out to get some breakfast."

I went over and took the animals, he had blood on his shirt and dripping from his left eyebrow. "What happened?", I pointed to his eyebrow.

His hand went up to his eyebrow and he cringed when he touched it, "Couple of assholes saw me, that's all."

"Are these assholes still with us?"

He wiped the blood on his sleeve, "That's funny."

I guess it was stupid to ask. I knew Nico wouldn't let a single fiend survive. Especially one that messed with him or any of us.

I looked at the breakfast Nico caught, only one rabbit had a wound, everything else looked untouched. "Where'd you get these?"

Nico sat back on the couch and kicked his legs up, smiling, "Like my handiwork?"

"Yeah. How'd you catch them?"

"I read a book that was in the library. It was like Hunter Tips or some shit. I don't know. Told me how to make a trap and catch them without using weapons."

"What about this rabbit?", I held up the wounded one.

"I...uhh...borrowed him...from the assholes. They won't miss him. But hey, I caught 'em, I'll cook 'em. Want rabbit or squirrel?"

"What tastes better?"

"I don't know. Dirt. But I don't feel like eating dirt today."

"Rabbit."

He took a rabbit and laid it on the counter. He opened a drawer and pulled up a butcher knife. Chop.

I went back upstairs to get dressed. Bryn and Petra were sleeping in the bed in the girls' room. Marc slept in the bathroom on the floor, on a pile of clothes.

No one wanted to go into the baby nursery.

I pulled my shirt on and readjusted my necklace. I laced up my boots and holstered my knife and pistol.

As I walked back down the hallway, Bryn came out of the bedroom, "Good morning."

"Good morning, c'mon, get dressed. Nico's cooking us breakfast."

"What is it?"

"Rabbit."

She made an unsure face. I nodded, "I'm not too sure about it either, but hey, food is food. Wake up Petra, while you're at it."

"What about Marc?"

"I'll wake him up."

Bryn went back into the bedroom. I opened the bathroom door, "Hey, Marc. Wake up."

He rolled over quickly, "Hnn? Mm..I'll be there in a minute.."

I walked back downstairs and Nico was pulling the charred rabbit off a fire he built. "Hope you like dark meat. I kinda...charcoal-ized this poor rabbit."

He cut the right leg off the rabbit and handed it to me. I bit into it. He watched me chew, "Any good?"

"Tastes like...kinda tastes like chicken."