Chapter 24: Sharpshooter

Rain's POV

I knew nothing about the way to shoot a bow. We went to the west, where the city stopped and rural land began.

A farmhouse on a long and dusty road idled in the center of fields that had long since overgrown. Two silos sat rusting behind the house.

We searched the house and found a few shotgun shells but no shotgun. We found a few bags of seeds and I set them up as targets for Bryn.

I told her to stand at one side of the yard and had her shoot at the targets. She shot the first arrow and it passed straight through the first bag of seed.

She shot a second arrow and it split a bag in two. She really was a sharpshooter. She knew how to critically hit her target.

The third target was resting in a tire hanging from a tree that I was pushing back and forth.

Without much hesitation Bryn shot her arrow and it ripped straight the bag and ended up lodged in the tree behind it.

Bryn smiled at me, "I think I like this bow."

"You can do some serious damage with that thing."

"Hold still."

"What?"

Bryn quickly pulled out another arrow and shot between my legs. I flinched but didn't get hurt. I turned to see a small rabbit pinned to the base of the tree with Bryn's arrow in its side.

"Damn, Bryn. Now you've never shot before?"

"Nope. Natural talent, I guess."

Bryn was an amazing shot. With her on our side, she could take out anyone without worrying about missing.

We retrieved her arrows and began walking back home. I carried the dead rabbit by its ears.

While we were walking back Bryn looked over at with an innocent look in her eyes, "How do you do it?"

"Hm?"

"Kill. You and Nico killed so many fiends yesterday. Petra killed one or two, but you two killed most of them. How can you just take a human life like that?"

"I have no choice. I don't want to kill, I don't think Nico does either. But we have to to protect our loved ones. I'm not letting anything happen to any of us again."

"Does the killing ever get easier?"

"No. I feel bad with each kill, but I have a way of forgetting the feelings."

"How?"

"Kill more..."

It was true, I hated killing. I felt like shit after each kill. But I knew if I hesitated to kill anyone, one of my friends could die. Draco died for us, for me. I was going to fight for my friends until my last breath. I cared too much, and I refused to let something happen to them.

I was staring to care about Bryn. She was a sweet girl and I could tell she had good intentions. She was innocent enough to not know what killing felt like, but smart enough to know she would have to do it one day.

I still wasn't sure if she trusted us. But considering she allowed both Nico and I to take her out alone, I assumed she trusted us enough. And she no longer had the look on her face of fear like she did the first few days. Maybe we made her feel safe.

Clara's POV

"Wake up!"

I rolled over and shielded my eyes from the light, "Hnnn? What time is it?"