Chapter 48: Fuel

Ghost's POV - One week later

I sat on a folding chair in the room near the front gate. Three other soldiers stood in the room with me.

One soldier sat at the computer terminal and called us over, "There's a man out there by the gate. Short little guy. Pretty old too."

I walked out of the room, "Let him in".

The gate rose and the frail old man walked into the kingdom. He had a gas mask hanging on his hip and black gloves on. He had a dirty white lab coat on and a pair of safety goggles on his head. He carried a duffle bag with him that seemed heavier than him.

I really didn't want another person to join New Rome. The revolt would happen soon and innocent lives would be lost. I sighed, "Welcome to New Rome. Your name?"

"Isa. Doctor Isa. Pleased to meet you. And you are?" He bowed respectfully.

"Call me Ghost. Your name, Isa, is that your first name or last name?"

He chuckled, "I couldn't tell you. I've gone by Doctor Isa since I was a child."

I nodded, "I assume you're a scientist?"

"You assume correctly."

I pointed at the duffle bag, "Any weapons in there?"

He chuckled, "Not directly."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He crouched and opened the bag up, "Plasma. A special variant of it that I discovered. I call it Plasma V.2! It has the capability to completely reduce the victim to a pile of goo, with just one touch, every time!"

Two guards approached from behind me, "We got it from here, Ghost. You can go."

"No. I got this. Go guard something."

One guard nodded and walked away but the other didn't, "No. You can't always just boss us around. Ever since the festival you've been acting different. Never thought you'd end up like the rest of the upper command around here."

I pulled out a katana and held it to his throat, "I'm nothing like them. But you're disrespecting a captain, and slandering the name of the other captains. You're under arrest."

"What!? You can't arrest me! I'm a soldier!"

I whistled at the other guard, "Hey, arrest this traitor. He slandered my name and the names of the other captains. I'll let the Legate deal with him."

I turned to Doctor Isa, "Sorry about that. Tensions are high around here lately. I'll take you to get registered and get a house and all that."

Doctor Isa followed quietly for a few minutes, either out of respect or fear, it didn't really matter to me. Then he broke the silence, "Your katanas. Very sharp. Have you ever used them to kill?"

"Yes. Plenty of times."

I heard him gulp, "Hopefully not on me."

"Don't worry. I think you'll be a great asset to our cause."

He walked faster and caught up with me, "Your cause? A war, perhaps?"

I nodded, "Something like that. I'll explain once we get you a lab."

We walked into the House of Records and Hannah smiled at me. I pointed to Isa with my thumb, "New member of New Rome. A scientist. He needs a lab, and a home."

Hannah nodded, "Of course. Your name, and age, please."

"I am Doctor Isa. I already told Ghost here that I don't know if that was my first name or last. And I believe that I am 62 years old. It's been a while that I've been walking."