Chapter 51: Relics

Bryn's POV

Clara shut her Bible and placed a rose on top, then set it on the grave. Three graves sat by the roadside. Only one was filled.

We buried Ghost next to Petra's empty grave. Both were marked with crosses.

Marc's grave was a few feet away from theirs, also empty.

Everyone was dressed in all black and teary eyed. Rain held my hand, but his arms and shoulders were tense. Nico looked tense too, and Clara was burying her face in his chest. Aurora and Hannah weren't as sad as us, but they still had tears in their eyes.

I looked back over my shoulder. Hundreds of Hubists stood with their heads bowed. New Rome burned and collapsed in the distance.

Aurora walked up and put her arm around my shoulder, "Stay strong. For Clara."

"You're not staying?"

She shook her head then motioned towards the Hub army, "I have a Hub to control. Clara's last request was that we help fight against Von. It's over. We can't stay here any longer. I wish I could, but I have responsibilities now."

"I get it. But we can't go north with you. The Hub is too close to Lightstone. We have to either go west or continue going south."

She smiled, "I know a place. It's called Elder's Peak. It's a small mountain kingdom probably 25 miles south of here. They're a small kingdom, only about 20 people I think. They're good people, and since they're so small, no one will bother messing with them. You'll be safe there. Trust me."

"You're sure?"

She looked down, then nodded slowly, "When you get there, tell find Historia or Anessa. Tell them that Ariana sent you."

"Ariana?"

She turned and began walking north, the entire Hub army followed her.

Rain and the others walked up. "What'd she say?"

I pointed towards the south, "Elder's Peak. It's a small mountain kingdom. Aurora said that no one will bother us there. It's safe."

Hannah nodded, "I've heard of it. Von and some of the other guards mentioned it a few times, they never showed much interest."

Rain nodded and began walking south, "Well, then lets get going. I wanna find somewhere to stay before it gets dark."

We began walking down the dirty old road. Cars sat rusting and breaking down. New Rome's flames reflected off the windows and mirrors.

I walked behind Rain and Nico. Clara was next to me and Hannah was behind us, walking slower.

Nico walked with his head down and Rain's fists were clenched. Clara occasionally wiped tears off her face.

We all left our armor in New Rome. We wandered the wastes again, in normal, raggedy clothes with no protection.

Hannah wore her black coat with the upside down hearts hanging from chains. She covered her head with the hood as soon as we began walking.

A forest appeared on the horizon and we began walking through it. Trees surrounded us. It was beautiful here. A stream trickled across the road. An old car sat with flowers and ferns growing out of it.

Birds chirped in the trees and a group of deer grazed in a clearing near the road.

Hannah spoke flatly and monotoned, "I've never been this far south. I've never seen this forest."

I looked back at her, "It's beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. Hard to believe a place like this exists in the wastes."

The road turned and went west. There was a small bank that led down to a dirt path that continued going south. We followed that path.