Chapter 46: Caged

Petra's POV

I rolled over and was greeted by a small rat, sniffing at my hair. I sat up quickly, "Oh, gross."

Bryn chuckled, "You ok?"

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, "A rat wanted my hair."

"That's disgusting."

I nodded, "I'm well aware."

Bryn pointed at the manhole cover, "Nico's getting food."

I stood and stretched. There was the sound of multiple people walking above us. I sighed, "In Lightstone at least we got some privacy. No one walked above us all day."

Clara woke up now. She looked over at me, flashed a quick smile, then rolled back on her side.

Bryn put her hand on Clara's shoulder, "You ok, hun?"

"Don't touch me."

Bryn pulled away her hand quickly. Poor Clara. The wasteland changed us all. She was affected the most before we even reached New Rome. She wouldn't come back from this.

The same rat that thought my hair was a treat scurried over and crawled on Clara's leg.

Bryn looked at it and then quickly to me. She made a disgusted face and slapped it off her.

Clara mumbled, "Thanks."

Bryn sat and brought her knees to her chest and looked at me. She looked so sad. Even after all the years of separation, Bryn and Clara were still best friends. I understood that, respected it, and didn't want to get in the way of it.

We sat around for almost an hour. I occupied myself with reading the Bible, although reading doesn't take my hunger away.

My stomach growled, and so did Bryn's and Clara's. We were all hungry, and Nico taking his time didn't help.

It was nearly two in the afternoon when I heard footsteps trotting through the water in the sewer tunnel near us.

I stood and grabbed a knife, and Bryn held a small dagger. Nico ran up to the locked gate and banged on it. "Open up. Sorry for taking forever. Had to take a detour."

I opened the gate and Nico set his backpack down on the ground. "Kinda cold, but dig in."

I reached into the bag and grabbed a few pieces of bread. I devoured them.

Bryn and Nico ate quickly too, but Clara never moved.

Bryn set a few pieces of bread next to Clara, "Clara. Food."

"Not hungry."

"Clara, I hear your stomach growling."

"Not hungry."

We finished eating, Clara still hadn't touched her meal. "I got something to show you guys. C'mon, follow me." Nico started walking down the tunnel he came through.

Bryn followed immediately and I crouched next to Clara, "We'll be back."

"I know."

I jogged to catch up with Nico and Bryn. We walked through the dark sewer tunnel until we reached a fork in the road. Nico pointed to the left tunnel, "That's where I came from. This right one though..."

We walked through it until I heard the sound of gears turning and machine parts moving. Nico pointed at a raised platform and helped us climb on top of it.

There was a small grate on top of it that allowed us to look down. There was a huge room filled with water turbines and other devices, probably all powering the kingdom. On the far side of the room was a large door.