Chapter 21: Mouse

Clara's POV - The Next Morning

I slept in the same bed as Bryn that night. Petra slept on the couch. Nico slept in the bathtub once again, while Rain slept on the floor of the living room.

I woke up with a jump when Bryn wailed. She was sitting up in bed, the light shining through holes in the roof and windows showed me a terrified expression on her face.

"What's wrong?"

"Nightmare."

"About?"

She simply shook her head, looking down.

I egged her on, "Bryn, you know that sometimes dreams could tell you about real life. Tell me about it, maybe I can help."

"It was...it was just me."

"And what else?"

"That's all. I was alone. A city I had never seen was burning and collapsing around me. I walked through the remains of a castle and found a strange room. A mans body laid against some type of tubes. Huge ones. Big enough to fit even the tallest person. I stood in one, I was crying. That's all. The dream ended there."

"Hm. That's....I don't know...that's strange."

"I'd just like to get my mind off of it. Is there any chore that needs to be done around here? Cooking, cleaning, anything?"

"Well I guess if you wanted you could cook everyone breakfast. That's pretty much all there is. We don't clean. We'll probably be leaving soon."

"Leaving where?"

"Anywhere. We never stay in one place more than a few days. Petra and Rain said that the fiends had a huge encampment in the city about a mile from here. If they found us and attacked we'd be screwed. No where to run or hide."

"Oh...well then I guess I'll get cooking."

"I'll help."

We got dressed and went to kitchen to start cooking. When Bryn started the stove and plopped a slab of meat on it, Rain sat up. He always slept shirtless. I had gotten used to seeing his bare chest. Bryn, however, was not.

Rain rubbed his eyes, "Mm? What're you doin'?"

"Bryn and I are cooking everyone breakfast. Go back to sleep."

"What time is it?"

"The sun is barely rising. Rain, just sleep. You need your rest."

He ran a hand through his hair and looked over at Petra sleeping on the couch. He let his head fall back and hit the pillow.

Bryn tugged at my shirt, her mouth was open. In a whisper she said, "Did you see that?"

"What?"

"His body! He's so muscular!"

"Oh. Yeah. Nico is too. They've been living as thieves and criminals long before me or Petra. They've had some time to get strong."

"How old are they?"

"They're both 16, Nico is a few months older."

She nodded her head and smiled, "They're cute."

I couldn't help but agree. Although two men who could easily break me in half with the flick of a finger weren't really cute, they were more handsome, than cute.

Bryn cooked the food while I washed the plates and silverware. I was thankful the generator Nico found had also brought the water systems back online. But of course, not sure for how long.