Chapter 43: Exterminated

Rain's POV

It was nearly midnight and very cold. Two soldiers in the front carried lanterns that illuminated the ground around us. It was snowing slightly, but the ground was not yet covered by a layer of it.

After about five minutes of walking one soldier asked Ghost, "Why are we walking? Why not just take a hovercraft?"

Ghost shook her head, "It would be too much trouble. Civilians in New Rome would hear the engines start up and the garages opening. It would make them panic, thinking we were being attacked again. And even with the cloaks, snow would fall on the hovercrafts and it would be noticeable by the Deserters. Walking wasn't my first choice, but it's the best choice."

The soldier nodded, "Makes sense."

We walked for nearly an hour before Ghost told the men to turn off the lanterns. We all crouched in a empty canal bank and Ghost pulled out her katanas, "The military base is at the end of this canal. We follow it, we're there. Keep quiet. Stay low."

We crouch-walked slowly through the canal and followed it to the military base. It was huge. Chain linked fences and towers shielded the central buildings. The tattered remains of tents rested in the field on our side of the fences.

Military trucks and jeeps with huge guns sat rusting and rotting away near the road.

Skeletal remains of soldiers, and those who I assumed to be civilians, were everywhere.

Ghost pointed at the skeleton of a small child near the canal, "The Great War did this. I don't know all the details, but I know nations went to war with each other and the military would let as many civilians as they could live in the bases with them. Bases just like this are all over the wasteland. Everyone, slaughtered. Sad."

One soldier pulled out his rifle, "Ghost, there was a light up in one of the towers. I think it was a sniper."

Ghost nodded, "I'll check it out. Be prepare to open fire on all the towers if you have to. I'll try to get a look in the other towers, as well."

Ghost sprinted over to the fence and jumped up and climbed to the top of the fence. I lost sight of her in the darkness.

A soldier readied his rifle and aimed at the tower she went towards, "Yup. She's in there alright. So is the sniper. Aaaaaand, he's dead. She got him."

Another soldier whispered, "Can you see snipers in other towers?"

"I can't, but Ghost can. I can't see how many fingers she's holding up though. Four to the left for sure, can't tell how many to the right. Three, I think."

Another soldier stood up and pulled out his assault rifle, "Lets go."

The soldiers opened fire on the towers and the towers opened fire back. The base lit up instantly. Alarms went off and all the lights came on. I saw Ghost jump out of the window and land on a walkway, then sprint and dive into cover.

A soldier to my right screamed and fell back. His arm hit the ground a few seconds later.

Another soldier who was taking cover behind a jeep dropped to his knees, then to his side.

I dived to the side and rolled under a truck. I watched the feet of a soldier run by, then stumble and fall. There was a sniper, and he wasn't in the towers, and he was taking us out.

A shot hit the truck's gas tank, and gas started pouring out on the ground near me.

I rolled away and ran from the truck and slid behind a small building.

Most of the soldiers were already dead. I had no idea where Ghost was, but I wasn't in the position to look for her.

I saw a bullet hit the truck I used to be under, and the gas sparked and the truck caught fire and exploded.