Chapter 55: Until Death Do Us Part

Rain's POV

"Any questions?"

I shook my head. Antony turned and looked at the huge cryogenic chambers along the wall. "We're one of the few places in the wasteland that have these. At this point, we might be the only."

"No one from this kingdom has ever used one?"

"Nope."

"Then how can you be sure they work?"

"They're Old World relics. They were here when we claimed this mountain as ours. They were in good condition, and from what we know, the military had labs like this all over the world. They wouldn't mass produce these chambers if they didn't work."

Antony handed me a rifle and pointed at a crate sitting in the corner of the room, "Here's your weapon. Your armor is in the crate. It's a simple job. You'll be able to sit around here and defend the kingdom. You'll be closer to your wife and always have an eye on her."

I shook his hand and he walked out of the room. I strapped my armor on and slung my rifle over my shoulder.

I walked out of the castle and found Marc waiting outside. He was dressed the same as me and carried the same rifle. He smiled at me, but said nothing. He was on guard duty.

I walked to the gate of the kingdom and sat down on the short wall near it. Joey was standing on the wall with me. He was smoking a cigarette. He blew a puff of smoke out, "So, I hear you're gunna be a dad."

"How'd you hear?"

He chuckled, "Small kingdom. News travels fast."

I looked out towards the trees surrounding the kingdom. My eyes scanned the trees, slowly. The leaves rustled. Leaves fell from the trees. I readied my rifle and set it on my lap.

Joey spoke, "Waiting for trouble?"

"Just want to be ready. Just incase."

I looked up to the sky. The clouds were spaced widely apart. The sun shined down on me and reflected off my armor. I sighed, "Does anything interesting ever happen around here? Ever have to fight anything?"

"Not really. I've never killed another person. I don't think anyone here has. Last month I killed a mouse that crawled into the kingdom though. That's about as much action as we get around here. It's ok though. Not like we're enemies with anyone in the wasteland."

I slung my rifle back over my shoulder.

Bryn's POV - Three Days Later

I turned slowly in the mirror. I couldn't find a dress I liked. I had too many scars and bruises on my arms, legs and back, but any dress that didn't show those parts of my body didn't flatter me.

Historia held up another dress, "How about this one? It might look good on you."

I tried it on and looked at myself in the mirror again. The dress was long enough that my legs didn't show, but my arms and back still showed and the ugly scars and bruises did as well.

Historia smiled at me, "You look beautiful."

"I don't feel beautiful. Back in Lightstone, I wore dresses all the time. Not wedding dresses, of course. But that was back before my body was covered in scars, bruises, and burn marks. I felt beautiful back then."

I ran a hand through my hair. "I think I'll take this dress. It fits me the best."

Historia nodded, "You have a beautiful body. The scars don't change that. Rain is a lucky guy."