Chapter 37: Do Over

Rain's POV

I dropped another piece of firewood onto the fire, Bryn looked cold.

I took my seat next to her again and she moved and sat on my lap, letting her legs wrap around my waist. I felt my pants grow slightly tighter.

She kissed me passionately, "I wish we could have some Hot Cocoa right now."

I shrugged, "Never had it."

She looked shocked, "Really!? You're 17 years old, and you've never had Hot Cocoa?"

I shook my head, "Never. I've had chocolate, sure, but never drank Hot Cocoa. But I have drank water from Lightstone. Not chocolate, but it's brown enough."

We laughed and she kissed me again, "Tell you what. If we ever find a permanent place to live, I will find you some Hot Cocoa. We'll get married and we'll serve Hot Cocoa and...hm...and whatever type of bird that was that we had in the cave."

I smiled, "Pigeon and Hot Cocoa. Can't say I've heard of that being served at a wedding."

She laughed, "We're unique, remember?"

We sat around kissing and talking for a while. Then Bryn stood and walked back over to the window, "Do you remember when you first found me?"

"What?"

"Do you remember when you found me? Because I don't. I remember waking up on that couch and having Petra bandage my leg up while Nico held me down, but I don't remember the exact moment before that." She looked sad.

I sighed, "It was pretty bad. Petra and I were searching for supplies and we saw your hovercraft smoking and going down. There were fiends in the area so when it crashed we got there as quickly as possible. That's basically it. You crawled out of the wreckage and passed out, I picked you up and carried you back to the cabin."

She rubbed her leg that had the burns and scars, "And that's when Captain Khan died. I forced him and two of his men to get me out of Lightstone. His men died during an encounter with fiends and we crashed half a day later. I'm the reason they died."

I hugged her, but didn't let go, "Don't think like that. They were soldiers in Lightstone's army. Their job was to protect the Royal Family or die trying. They did their job. Not like Lightstone was exactly known for its hospitality, either."

She nodded. "I guess you're right. They were supposed to be looking for you, so they were heading to the wastes anyways and probably would have died just the same."

"There ya go. Think...positive, I guess. That's as positive as it gets, I think." I squeezed her tighter.

I looked outside, it was still snowing, but not as heavily anymore and the winds died down. "We should probably get going. Travel will be slower now that it's winter. We won't be able to travel much, we should cover some ground. At least a few miles."

Bryn agreed and we packed up our stuff, which wasn't much.

I put out the fire and covered the ashes in snow, then tossed the firewood outside.

We walked down the road in silence, mostly because it was too cold to talk without stuttering. Bryn held my hand the entire walk.

We came across a street lined with cars all buried in snow up to the middle of the tires. The windows on all the cars were frosted up, so luckily we couldn't see any bodies that may have been inside.

But the snow was strange here. It was melting, and not because of the sun. It was a straight trail where the snow was melting.

Suddenly, I heard multiple voices, and the familiar hum of a hovercraft.