Chapter 53: Returned

Nico's POV - That night

"Your eyes, too."

Clara, who was leaning against me as I sat against a rock, looked up at me, "My eyes? They're green. Everyone has green eyes."

"Yours are different though. Yours are a different kind of green. They're very distinct."

She blinked slowly then opened her eyes wide, "And?"

I rubbed her shoulder, "And your smile. Your smile brightens up my day each time I see it. It's almost as beautiful as you."

She put one hand on my face and kissed me, "Now you're just kissing ass."

I smiled and pulled her closer to me. The fire burned brightly in front of us. Bryn and Rain slept in the bed of a truck that was crashed near the road. Hannah slept inside the cab.

I looked up towards the sky. Stars twinkled and shimmered above us. One star in particular caught my eye. It was brighter than the others around it. It was twinkling, then it stopped completely. A black spot filled the sky where it once was.

"Do stars just burn out like that?"

Clara was watching the star too, "Not according to science. Stars are a million miles away. Light takes forever to reach us so that star has been burned out for thousands of years, probably."

"But it just...stopped. There wasn't any sign of it burning out or anything."

Clara shrugged, "It's science. I read it once."

We laid in silence for a few minutes before Clara looked back at me and asked, "Do you think there are other worlds out there?"

"What do you mean? Planets like Earth, or just worlds in general."

"Both. The universe is infinite, right? There has to be something else out there. There's probably some world out there, a billion miles away, with a girl sitting with her boyfriend watching the stars wondering the same things we are."

I looked up towards the sky. The moon looked as it always did. Bright and off-white, with grey specks all over, and a huge black rectangle in the center. "What do you think that rectangle is on the moon?"

Clara looked up at the moon, "I used to wonder that as a child. Never could think of anything. Bryn and I used to pretend like it was our Moon Castle."

"What made you stop wondering what it was?"

"I grew up."

The moon had grey spots all over it. They seemed to be natural. But that giant black rectangle, that doesn't just happen. That was manmade. What if it really was a Moon Castle?

I sighed, "You know, I think it might be around the time that I read this note."

"What note?"

I reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper, "This note. It's the one thing that always makes my head hurt. I get nose bleeds, I pass out, I puke, but that's nothing compared to what happens when I remember this note. It's not hurting right now. I don't know why."

"How long have you had that note?"

I shrugged, "Forever, I guess. Draco had one too. He always told me that our parents left them for us. I assume mine says the same thing his does. He never got to read his. All I know, is that I'm not supposed to read it until I'm sure my life will stop changing dramatically. Pretty sure nothing will change at this point."

"So read it."

I shook my head, "I don't think I can. My head is staring to hurt again. Read it for me? Please?"