Chapter 33: Seperated

Clara's POV

We exited the tunnels in a drainage ditch. We had to bear crawl out of the ditch and we found ourselves at the side of the road. Nico was looking towards the burning train depot and then he shot a worried glance towards the tunnel, "Where are Bryn and Rain?"

Petra answered, "They were right behind us, I thought. I never bothered to check."

Marc, who was sitting on the ground wrapping his injured shoulder in his shirt, looked towards the south, "We've been traveling south this whole time. They'll know to go south. We can't really afford to go back in those tunnels and search for them."

He was right. As much as I hated leaving Bryn and Rain behind, and much as the thought sickened me, if they were alive, they'd know to go south.

Nico grabbed his sniper and aimed down the scope towards the train depot, "Fiends are going inside. We can't go back for Bryn or Rain, and we sure as shit can't just wait here. We need to keep going."

Petra and Nico let Marc lean on them while I walked slightly behind them, holding my plasma rifle.

It was cold outside. Every breath I took, I could see frost in the air.

The sky was cloudy and grey. The sunlight peaked through a few patches of clouds over the day, but it stayed hidden for the most part.

After about an hour or so, Marc's shoulder had stopped bleeding and he had regained his strength, but he still looked stiff and in pain when he walked.

Nico pointed out another city skyline in the distance, "Might as well try to find a place to stay. It's cold as shit as out here, and we need to take care of Marc's shoulder."

Petra motioned to the nothingness, "With our infinite medicine supplies, right?"

Nico lightly shoved her, "We'll find something. But we need to at least wrap his shoulder."

The city was deserted. But it also had little destruction. Only a single car rested on the street we walked down. Most stores and buildings were intact, other than damage likely caused by weather.

The city was eerie. It had started to rain hard again and it washed away the dirt and grime that covered our faces.

Rain water got into the cuts on my face and stung. I flinched at the pain, and Nico seemed to notice instantly. He took off his jacket and held it above me as we walked. Marc tried to do the same for Petra, but she refused.

We walked past an alley. Nico held my arm and nodded towards it, "There's a sewer entrance there."

Petra walked over and slid the manhole cover off and looked inside, "Just like Lightstone."

We all entered the sewer, and dropped down into the central chamber.

Nico and Rain were the only ones who ever had flashlights, we were never able to find any for anyone else. Nico turned on his and shined it around the chamber.

Red words were spray painted on a wall.

Sanctuary

Three of the four tunnels were barricaded. The only one that was opened had a red arrow painted on the ground in the entrance.

Nico began walking down the tunnel, but stopped to take my hand, "Walk slow. I don't know if anyone is in here. Don't shoot your guns. They'll echo and deafen us."

Marc pulled out his knife. Petra grabbed a metal pipe that laid on the ground. I held Nico's hand, and my knife with my other hand.

There wasn't much in the tunnel. A few pipes and some tools that sat covered in spider webs, but other than that, nothing.