Chapter 40: Deserters

Bryn's POV - That night

Nico came home from his training day with Ghost and told us all about what happened.

Clara and I questioned the safety of this kingdom, but ultimately were reconvinced of the safety.

We stayed inside for the rest of the day, simply relaxing and trying to let our minds forget the horrors of the wastes.

Nico and Petra made dinner and when everyone finished, we all took our showers and relaxed a while longer before getting ready for bed.

I walked up the stairs behind Clara and Nico. Rain was already in our room.

I opened our door and peaked in. I quickly shut it when I realized Rain was shirtless on the bed, sobbing.

I ran over and laid next to him. I grabbed his hands and rested my head against his shoulder, "What's wrong?"

He sucked up his tears, and pointed to a book that sat on our dresser.

I opened it. "Luke, I'm sorry. Your mother and I love you very much but it's time I leave. I'm needed for duty and I can't stay here any longer. Neither can your mother. She is required to leave with me. We are putting you up for adoption, I hope you understand. Love, Dad. January 26, 2016."

I looked over at Rain, who sat up now. "What if that's what happened to me? I remember my parents, but not much. One day they were just gone. What if they put me up for adoption like that and I just ran away or something?"

I sat on his lap and kissed him, "Where'd you find this book?"

"In the closet. It was in a box with an old baseball glove, a pocket knife, and a smashed picture frame. The box was behind one of the wall panels, that's why no one ever found it." He pointed at the loose looking wall panel in the closet.

He sighed, "The panel moved when I leaned on it, so that's why I opened it, by the way."

I was overwhelmed with sadness. Petra was disowned by her parents. Clara's are dead. My mother is dead, my father doesn't care. Nico and Rain both have no idea what happened to their parents.

I kissed Rain's cheek, "Whatever happened, you're here now. And you're what I want. Your past is horrible, and I wish we would've met under better circumstances, but we-."

Rain pushed me off of him and rolled over, "At least you know where your parents are."

He pulled the blanket over himself and stared at the balcony.

I leaned over the bed and kissed his cheek again, "I love you, Rain."

I turned off the light then grabbed a pillow and walked downstairs to sleep on the couch.

I laid in the dimly light room for a while. The flames in the fireplace caught my eye. I rolled over and watched them dance. I felt my eyes burning as I watched the flame. The fire shot up higher and I jumped back into the couch. The fire eased and I felt guilt overtake my body.

I quickly walked up the stairs, but stopped when Rain grabbed my shoulders. I looked up into his emotionless eyes, "I'm sorry."

He nodded, "Don't be."

He took my hand and walked me back to the bedroom. We both laid in the bed and he smiled, "I love you too, Bryn."

His hand slid around my waist. He kissed my neck and whispered, "I love you so much.."

We laid in the dark for at least 30 minutes. Rain fell asleep before I did.

The moonlight came in through the window and illuminated his features.