Chapter 18: Drunk Tank

Petra's POV

Clara and I ran as fast as we could down the sidewalk through the city, not even sure what direction we were heading.

I could hear footsteps. I looked back to see Rain sprinting after us, a ways back was Nico.

Where was Draco?

They caught up to us and Nico tossed a bag at us, "This way! C'mon through these trees! The trucks won't be able to follow us and the fiends wouldn't be smart enough to find us!"

We turned and sprinted through the trees. Clara was limping bad, and I was nearly out of breath. Rain and Nico could run forever though.

Nico stopped and picked up Clara, carrying her like a baby. I picked up the pace so Rain wouldn't have to worry about me.

Rain was faster than all of us. And he could run forever. His breathing was normal while we sprinted for nearly five minutes.

We came to a small cabin out here in the middle of the woods. An Old World car rested in front of it. It looked like this place was frozen in time.

Rain picked the lock on the door and we went inside.

It was a cozy little cabin. Besides the musty smell and the peeling paint on the walls, it was untouched.

Nico put Clara on the couch and I began to wrap her ankle in bandage and disinfect her arm.

Nico looked over at Rain, "And Draco?"

Rain looked down and shook his head, "Dead. Died making sure I could escape. I'm sorry..."

Draco. I never thought Draco would be the first to go. He was the strongest and by far the best survivor of any of us. He died a hero.

Nico's eyes got wide and filled with anger. "Fuck!!"

He turned and punched the wall. His fist went straight into it and blood ran from his wrist.

"Nico!! Be careful!"

He ripped his hand out of the wall. Blood was dripping from all over. He turned and walked out of the cabin with his head down.

Rain shook his head, "Let him go. He just needs a chance to calm down."

"Will he be ok?"

"I hope so. Nico's hard. He can take a lot. But I'm not sure how he'll deal with this. It could take some time."

"We'll just have to make sure we don't do anything to piss him off for the next few days."

"Yeah."

I finished doctoring Clara and helped her to her feet. "Don't walk on it for a while. Give it a day or so before you do anything."

"Thanks."

I couldn't help but give her a big hug, "I'm glad you made it out ok."

Rain was looking around the cabin. Then he looked at the bags we dropped in the corner.

"Only four. Wonder whose got left behind..."

He walked over and opened them.

"Mine. Petra's. Clara's. Nico's."

He looked up at me, "Draco's bag is still at the school."

"We don't need it. As horrible as that sounds, it's over. His bag is in a damn war zone. No way we're going back."

"I know...shit. The sleeping bags are still at the school too. Guess we're sleeping on the ground tonight."

Clara down looked at the couch, "I'm sorry. If the couch was bigger I'd let someone sleep here. But I don't think sleeping on the ground would be good for my foot."