Chapter 42: In the Dark

Ghost's POV

I took Marc to his room and helped him back onto his bed. He sighed heavily and covered his legs with the blanket, "Thanks."

I sat down on the chair next to him and looked at him. He looked over at me and I held up my hand, "Let me see your eyes."

He sat still and peered into his eyes.

Fear? Anger? Sadness? Longing? Loneliness? Nothing. I looked into his eyes for at least five minutes, but couldn't read them. Even my eyes had emotion to them. But his were empty. If I couldn't see that he was breathing, I wouldn't have known he was alive.

I leaned back, "What's the story with you and them? You didn't just want to check in on Clara, simply because she was across the hall. You knew them before you reached New Rome. They didn't just find you injured, right?"

He looked down, "Yeah, I knew them before we got here."

I leaned forward, "Gee, hold back. Didn't ask for you entire life story."

He looked up quickly, then flinched, "Agh. Hey, I didn't ask for this. I didn't promise I would open up to you and tell you everything. I thought that you weren't supposed to ask questions? I thought what I did prior to this didn't matter?"

I sat back and adjusted my bandana, "Alright, fair enough. Not my place to ask about your-."

"Get out."

"Excuse me?"

"Get. Out." He pointed at the door.

I stood, "Fine. But you point anywhere near me again, I can promise that your finger won't be attached at your body anymore."

He lowered his hand quickly, and laid down.

I walked out of his room and walked down the hallway, and back to the lobby.

Legate Hoover and several men stood around. The Legate looked over at me when I walked in, "Did you see Lord Von, or Hannah?"

"No. Were they looking for me?"

He shook his head, "Not necessarily, but you do have a task."

"What it is, Legate?" I bowed my head.

"Interrogation. Return to the castle, and go to the barracks on the side. Chamber Six. We caught a Deserter. Learn what he knows and try to find their home base. The base you and Rain took out can't be the only base they had."

I nodded, "It will be done."

I walked quickly to the castle. Never before had I been chosen for to perform and interrogation.

I reached the castle barracks and went into Chamber Six. I stopped in the room before the large door and laid my katanas on the table, then picked up the small satchel left on the table.

I walked into the room and the light in the middle of the room turned on. The Deserter was restrained, shirtless, sitting on the ground. He looked up at me when I walked in.

The right side of his head was shaved and his hair in the front was spiked to the side. He had white spiked plugs on both ears.

He had tattoos on his upper arms, one on his chest above his heart, and a few on his left hand.

Although this was only my first interrogation, I knew enough to get information out of people.

I sat cross legged in front of him on the floor, and looked into his eyes. "What do you know?"

He laughed, "What do you think I know?"

I grabbed his chin and forced his head forward. I looked into his golden brown eyes. "Interesting. You're longing for someone. A loved one, perhaps? A girlfriend, or a wife. Yeah, that's it. Something happened to the girl who had your heart. You miss her and you're lashing out against New Rome because of it. Not our fault that she's gone. Why attack us?"