Chapter 28: Scared

Clara's POV

Aurora and I led the group as we walked the wastes. We followed the road that I originally went down in the trucks. Two trucks drove past us along the way, each filled with new fiend recruits.

I heard footsteps in the gravel and turned to see the two Assassins sprinting down the road, one had Zane's body hanging over his shoulder. They were sprinting fast, even faster than Rain could sprint.

They both jumped and shot their grappling hooks into a radio tower in the distance. They rocketed towards it and then disappeared in the city a few miles in the distance. At the speed they traveled, they could probably reach Lightstone and be back at Violetta's compound in an hour or so.

Aurora stopped at a fork in the road, "Well, which way do we wanted to go? Back towards the city or a different way? Vera, choose."

If we went back towards the city, there was a chance that I could see my friends again. But if I saw them again, there was a chance that they would be killed by the fiends in my group.

But if I didn't go back, and something had happened to them already, I would never forgive myself.

I had to go back. "Lets head to the city. From there we can choose a different way to go."

Three hours later

I led the group down a road in the city. I could see thick black smoke on the other side of the city, and I knew it could only be from an attack against my friends.

I started to walk faster and when Cyan questioned why, I simply said, "We get the loot before anyone else this way." My answer satisfied her.

We walked down the road until I could see the street lined with dead fiends and flames. Through the flames and smoke I saw Fynn and his group searching dead bodies.

Aurora took a deep breath, and yelled, "Fynn! This is our find! I'm giving you ten seconds before I shove my foot so far up your ass, your grandchildren will feel it!"

He stood and walked closer. He was close enough that I could see his features again. If we got in a fight with him, his armor would be tough to get through.

He cocked his head and smiled, "Aurora, are you forgetting something? We're in the wastes now. Your orders only mattered at the Citadel. Out here in the wastes? Your orders don't mean shit to me or my group. Now take your ass somewhere else before I shove something of mine up your ass."

Aurora looked pissed. Tux stepped forward, "Fynn, get out of here! You're disrespecting our army's second in command!"

Fynn laughed, "Who the fuck are you!? Our army's second in command. Haha! That's a good one! I cannot tell you the amount of fucks I don't give about Aurora or her fucking authority! I'm a fiend, we believe in anarchy for a reason!"

I saw Cyan and Aurora both slowly reaching for the guns on their backs. Renee looked at me with a worried expression. I nodded and started to reach for my gun as well. There would be no peaceful negotiating with Fynn.

His three lackeys walked up behind him, all holding Plasma Rifles.

Fynn grabbed a blue pistol on his belt. It charged up and attached itself to a device on his wrist. "I'm done with talking."

He raised the pistol and shot a single bullet at Tux. I heard the deafening blast, followed by the sound of armor cracking and blood splashing against the ground.

Tux's body was pushed back about four feet and most of his chest was missing. He died before he hit the ground.

I dived for cover, as did the others.