Chapter 15: Baited

Draco's POV

The body fell with a thud. Thick red blood splattered on the tile walls behind it.

The sound of the gunshot echoed through the room and deafened me. My ears rang and my vision blurred.

I could faintly make out the sound of someone's voice.

I drop from on top of the lockers and turned around.

Rain, Nico and Clara stood in the doorway with a worried expression on their faces. Petra sprinted into the doorway a few seconds later, sliding to a stop.

I rubbed my temple and shook my head. My senses were coming back.

"Draco! What did you shoot!?"

"Dinner."

I smiled and walked towards the body, "Nico help me out."

He jogged to catch up.

A large deer laid dead. Two bullet wounds in his chest.

Nico looked down at it and smiled, "Damn. Tonight we're gunna eat like kings."

He turned towards the others, "This is our kingdom!"

He laughed and helped me carry the deer to the main hall.

We needed a dry place to cook.

Nico said the cafeteria was flooded and I wasn't fond of eating in a locker room.

Clara, Rain and Petra looked around in the classrooms, trying to find anything flammable.

Rain came to us first, "Found a good place to eat. Nice and dry. Lots of paper to burn. But Petra won't be happy."

He led us to a library. Petra's eyes widened with excitement, the first real excitement I had seen in her since Lightstone.

"We gotta burn some of these books. We need a fire. It's cold tonight."

Petra's smiled faded, "I know. Can I take some of the books first?"

Nico nodded.

I answered, "Sure. Small ones though. Remember our bags can't hold everything. We'll need to prioritize."

She turned and walked down an isle, "Yeah, yeah."

After some book gathering and watching Nico burn his hand with a lighter twice, we got a fire going.

I went to work on chopping away at the deer.

Clara made sure to occupy herself with anything else. She made it clear she didn't want to see this. I didn't want to see this.

Rain's POV - Two hours later

The smell of cooking deer meat was actually a good smell. For as long as I could remember, the only smells were sweat and decaying bodies. A warm meal that smelled good would be nice for a change.

It was getting late now. The wind had died down a bit, but rain still poured. It was getting colder too. I liked the cold. I usually never was too bothered by cold weather, but the others hated it. Especially Nico and Draco. They always said the cold makes them feel "old and shitty", although I never really knew what they meant by it.

Draco made me the "honorary food passer-outer". I think he just didn't want to touch the meat.

Being the gentleman I am, I served Petra and Clara first. They thanked me.

I then served Draco and Nico. Draco thanked me, while Nico dug into his meat. But that didn't bother me. Nico was my best friend. I knew how he acted. Deep down, he was grateful.