Chapter Eleven

RIVER POV

I dialled the number and waited, my fingers tapping against my thigh impatiently.

"Hello?" Her raspy voice that I hadn't heard in too long answered.

It had been over two years since I'd seen my friend, months since we spoke. She was a married woman now with her own family and a job that took all of her time. Angel and I tried to keep in touch, whether through quick phone calls or texts to check in. But this news deserved a call.

"Guess what?!" I shouted, excited and happy to share my news.

"Fuck, that's my ear." Angel grumbled on the other end.

"Come on, guess." I urged.

She sighed. "I don't know. You finally started acting your age?"

"Nooo." I rolled my eyes. "I think I met her."

"Who, Riv?"

"Her, Angel. The girl- No, the woman I told you I'd meet one day. The one who I'll love and have babies with. You remember?" I spoke quickly.

I heard the smile in her voice when she replied. "I remember, River. What's her name?"

"Kailee." I sighed dreamily. "Pretty, huh? She kissed me on my cheek. With her lips."

My friend's laughter filled my ear. "That's great. So, you're thinking she's it?"

I couldn't know that so soon, but I sure hoped so. My heart already did too much for her not to be. "I'm really hoping."

I heard a baby crying and Angel excused herself before coming back a short while after. I hadn't met her youngest yet, only seeing a few pictures I received.

"I hope so too, Riv. Hey, I gotta go. Navia has gone to work and I have the kids. Nylah just woke up and she's grumpy." She told me and I felt disappointed but understood. "I want to meet this Kailee when you know for sure."

"I want that too. Say 'hello' to the kids and kiss the wife for me." I grinned when she chuckled.

"Goodbye, River."

"Bye, Angel." I whispered.

***

We all stood motionless watching the news. Two more kids were found. One overdosed and the other was in critical condition. They were found yesterday morning in an abandoned building by a homeless man. Missing persons reports were filed on Saturday but I wasn't put on it. I shut my eyes tightly as their faces flashed across the screen.

It was two of the boys I saw Friday night, it was now Monday morning. I knew something was up. I felt it in my gut and I ignored it, putting it off as paranoia. The third kid had left to go home. He was questioned but didn't know anything about what his friends were up to. It was obvious that the boys were waiting on whoever dealt the drugs that night. I should've fucking listened.