Chapter Four

RIVER POV

Kailee.

Her name was Kailee. For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about it. It wasn't like it was a rare name, a lot of people had it.

I sat staring at her as she spoke to James. The man with her, Edward, had his arm around her shoulder. I honestly wasn't paying attention to what they talked about.

"You boys want to get some more drinks?" Edward asked.

Ryan and James followed him to the bar counter.

"Is he your boyfriend?" I blurted out.

She rested her arms on the table. "Why do you want to know?"

"Just tell me." I grumbled.

She tilted her head to the side. "You know, if you had been paying attention rather than staring at me all night, you'd know."

"Know what?" I asked confused.

She chuckled lightly, "for someone so pretty, you're not so bright."

Did she just call me stupid?

"That's not very nice." I frowned.

"You're cute." She laughed.

"Excuse me. This," I gestured to myself. "Is not cute, I'm sexy." I corrected.

She laughed harder and I found myself mesmerized by her once again.

"Like I said, cute."

"So, is he?"

She sighed and looked over to the bar counter. I waited for her to say something but she didn't. I followed her line of sight and saw what she was looking at.

What the fuck?

Edward had his tongue stuck down James' throat while my brother sat there looking uncomfortable. He was never good with pda. Whether it was his own or someone else's.

I looked over to see her smirk on again. "Okay, so either he's bi and you have an open relationship or he's gay and you're not together." I breathed out.

"I'll give you a hint," she leaned closer. "I'm not into dicks." She whispered.

I felt relief wash over me but as fast as it came, it went. I only registered what she said after.

She wasn't into dicks.

I sighed and continued to drink from my glass.

"You seem disappointed." The goddess grinned, amusement clear.

I shrugged. "I'm cool."

She hummed but said nothing else.

I looked at her as she looked around the bar. Her amber eyes scanned the place absently while her head bobbed slightly to the music. I could tell she was a couple years older than I was. She had a mature and classy look about her.

"How old are you?" I drew her attention to me.

Her eyes locked on mine. "Didn't your mother ever told you it's rude to ask a lady her age?"

"No." I shook my head. "How old are you?" I asked again.

"Older than you are, cupcake." She smirked.

My eyes lingered on her lips for a bit before I looked away. We sat in silence until we were interrupted.

"Hey, River!" Mac stomped up to me.

"Me?" I pointed to myself.

"Yeah, you slept with my girlfriend." He gritted as he towered over me since I was sitting.