Chapter 35

Summer was now coming to an end. Eli and I spent every day together, and his parents. They treated me as if I was part of their family. I went home once in a while just to get more clothes and switch my other ones out. I went around 9 because that's when Ms. Diaz and my dad weren't home, and I was always really quiet and you wouldn't even be able to tell I was there. My dad never checked up on me or anything, and I never expected him to. I talked to Tory and Miguel once and that was to make sure we were all on good terms, other than that I haven't talked to them since. I did miss them from time to time, but I didn't need them because I had Eli. Eli and I have gone to the beach every day to watch the sunset on the boardwalk. Today everything was going to change because today was the last day of summer and I had to go back home and live with my dad and his new family. I know I should have just moved in with Eli and his family, but I couldn't I tried talking to my dad about it and he said exactly what I thought he was going to say. He said no because Miguel and Abuela would be home all by themselves and that since we are a family, I need to be there for them and come back home once summer was over. I didn't argue because I didn't want a fight.

We were all eating breakfast at the table.

"Do you have to go home today?" Mr. Moskowitz asked.

"Yes sadly." I took a bite of food.

"You know, our offer still stands for you just to still move in." Mom smiled.

"I know, and I would take the offer, but my dad said I couldn't and I don't want to have a fight with about it." I sighed.

"Does your dad have a problem with you being here?" He asked.

"No, he loves you guys, but it's the fact that Miguel and Abuela moved in and my dad and Ms. Diaz don't want them to be alone, and also the fact that they are my new family and I need to be there for them." I explained.

"Oh ok, Madilyn I really wish you could stay with us and our offer will always stand." Mom smiled. 

"Thank you, mom, and you too Mr. Moskowitz." I smiled.

For the rest of breakfast, we had an amazing last time together, until I would be back this weekend.

"Do you wanna go to the beach?" Eli asked.

"Yeah, that sounds good." I smiled.

We got all our stuff packed and headed to the beach for the day.

We swam and had an amazing time after we suntanned for a while until he got bored and wanted to go on the boardwalk to go get ice cream. We packed all our stuff and headed to the boardwalk.

"I don't wanna go home." I held his hand.

"I don't want you to either." He sighed.

"I'm just going to be alone, and it's going to be awkward if I ever see Miguel." I looked down at the sand.

"Look, you're going to be with me every day and the only time you are going to be alone at night." He tried to make me feel better.

"But what about you? What if you have a nightmare, I won't be there to comfort you." I hated when he had nightmares.

"I haven't had a nightmare in a whole month, I think I'll be ok." He smiled.

"Ok, but what if you do? What are you going to do?" I asked.

"I'll just call you and we can talk about it." He explained.

"Fine, but if you do have a nightmare promise you'll call me." I looked at him.

"I promise." He smiled.

"What if he makes us do family dinner?" It was going to be so awkward.

"Then you call me, and I'll go on them with you." He smiled.

"Do you have answers to all my problems?" I laughed.

"Yes, I do." He laughed.

He got to the boardwalk and walked into the ice cream shop.

"What can I get you?" The guy asked.

"Can I have a single scoop of mint chocolate chip in a cup please?" I smiled.

"I would like mink chocolate chip also, single scoop but in a waffle cone." He always got the same ice cream as I did but just in a waffle cone.

We paid and got out ice cream and headed to the end of the boardwalk.

"Why do you always get the same ice cream as me?" I laughed.

"I don't do that." He laughed.

"Yes, you do." I looked at him.

"I do?" He looked confused.

"Yup, every time." I explained.

"I never noticed." He looked down at me.

"It's cute." I smiled.

We ate our ice cream and walked to the end of the boardwalk. We finished our ice cream as we got to the end and we stood looking over the edge at the sunset. As the sunset, we walked back to the car and I drove to Eli's house.

We got to his house and went straight to his room. My stuff was already packed so all I had to do was grab it and go. I didn't want to leave, I really didn't but this is what I had to do to keep my dad happy with his new little family.

I grabbed my stuff and we headed to the kitchen. Mr. Moskowitz and mom were standing there waiting for me.

"Thank you guys for everything, I'll be back this weekend." I smiled and hugged both of them.

They said goodbye and that will be excited to see me this weekend and then they went off to bed.

"It'll be ok, I'll see you tomorrow." Eli hugged me.

"I know, but I won't be able to feel you next to me tonight." I hugged him tightly.

"I know, but this week will go by super fast and then you can sleep with me again." He kissed my forehead.

"I love you. I'll see you tomorrow." I kissed his lips.

"I love you." He kissed me again.

"What are you going to do if you have a nightmare?" I questioned before I left.

"I will facetime you no matter how late it is." He smiled.

"That's the correct answer." I smiled.

I walked out and got in my car. Eli was waving to me and I wanted to cry because I didn't want to go back. This place felt like home and I didn't want to leave Eli. I drove home and got out, I could hear Ms. Diaz, Miguel, Abuela, and my dad in the kitchen laughing and having a great time. I tried to be as quiet as I could so I didn't have to go in there but my dad somehow heard me and called for me. I walked into the kitchen and starred at all of them.

"Yes?" I asked.

"How long have you been here?" He asked.

"I just got here." I explained.

"Why don't you sit down with us and eat." He gestured to a chair.

"No thanks, I already ate and I'm really tired." I faked a yawn.

"Alright, well have a great night." He smiled.

"Good night everyone." I waved to everyone.

I walked to my room on the third floor and set all my stuff down.

I took in the smell of my new room, it smelt nothing like Eli's house or room. I wanted to go back but I knew I couldn't, luckily the only time I'll be in this room is at night.