Two

“Tell me exactly what happened after you left the room today!” Dani finally started her inquisition once we got back home. For the rest of the time back in the hospital and the car ride back here, she kept quiet. Now we’re just unpacking and fixing our stuff in our place and looking for something to cook for dinner.

“Well, Nick called,” I began as I started unpacking a box with plates and silverware. “And he was all ‘sorry baby, please come back’ and all that stupid shit. I told him that he lost his chance and never contact me again.”

“Ugh! I can’t believe him. He has some guts trying to get you back after the last time. And he slept with that bitch Katie! Even though he was angry and drunk, that doesn’t justify his actions. After two years together, he should know that trust is a big thing for you.”

“That’s exactly what I told him,” I said as I broke the box down and put it in a pile next to the door.

“Well his loss is possibly someone else’s gain,” Dani has that hinting tone in her voice and I see the look in her eyes as I turn to face her.

I give her my best passive face. “I don’t know what you mean.” Even though I did. “And I’m swearing off of guys for the rest of my life. I’ll be a successful business woman and spoil myself rotten.”

She rolls her eyes and continues putting our other kitchen stuff away. “Oh shut up, Mel. You know exactly what I was trying to say. Now either you tell me about the guy you bumped into at the hospital or you won’t be getting dinner tonight.”

I stare her down, but I can see her face is serious. She talked about making Mexican food tonight, and God only knows how I’ve been craving it for a while. I finally relent and tell her what happened.

“Ok, fine. After the call, I was going back to you. I was crying, and before you say anything, I’m alright.” I saw her wanting to jump in and say something. “Anyways, while I was wiping my eyes, I bumped into a guy and literally fell on my butt. I mean, this guy was so sturdy and built that I felt like I ran into a brick wall!”

Dani started laughing so I through one of the sponges I was unpacking at her. “I’m sorry. And then what happened?”

“Well he helped me up and apologized. I said it was fine, tried to leave because I knew I looked like crap, but he stopped me and offered coffee as an apology.” Dani started nodding and urged me to continue. “We went down to have coffee, talked for a bit, then you called, I left, but before that, we exchanged numbers. That was that.” I ended there and kept unpacking.

“Melissa! You’re being evasive. I need details girl! Details! Was he hot?”

If I could blush I would. I thought back to when he smiled and how his eyes looked so warm. And even under his scrubbed-out look, I could tell he was built.

“Mel!” Dani called me out of my thoughts.

“What?” I asked innocently.

“Tell me! Was the guy hot? What’s his name?”