Thirty-Four

My parents over-reacting was a total understatement. For an hour, I sat on my couch feeling like an errant child who is getting a good scolding. I'm 23, but only my parents can make me feel like I'm 8 years old.

Russell quietly sits in the background, not wanting to jump in and save me anytime soon. Both mom and dad were thankful that Russell was doing all he can to get me back to safety. I was mostly to blame, having been associated with Nick in the past and having that relationship end badly. They said something bad was bound to happen, but they didn't think it would end like this.

They left later that night, still a bit high-strung, but glad that I'm still alive and in one peace. They also thanked and hugged Russell, glad that he's still around. They sure have taken a liking to him fairly quickly.

Dani, who was hiding in her room the entire time and playing with Butters, comes out to heat dinner. Since I'm restricted from doing any manual labor or moving around a lot, I'm to get used to being stuck in bed or on a couch.

While the three of us eat dinner, Dani notifies me that she called my supervisors and told them of my predicament. I'm given three additional weeks off or until I'm all good to go. And it seems like Daniel and Mark have heard the news since they'll be visiting sometime in the near future.

When I look at Russell, something comes to mind. He's sticking to my side like glue, so that reminds me that I have to talk to Dani, and now seems like a good time.

"Girl, I need to tell you something," I set my spoon down, and look at her.

"What's up?" she looks at me curiously, patiently waiting.

"Well, I don't know how else to say this or how to word it, but uh, Russell asked me to move in with him," I rush out the last part.

Russell, who wasn't paying attention to us, started choking on his water. I rub his back, as he tries to breathe properly. I stare at Dani, who looks wide-eyed, and for a moment, she doesn't say anything. I sit there, waiting for some reaction from her, then she surprises me by laughing.

"Finally!" She lets out.

I give her a puzzled look, as does Russell. "Uh, what was that now?" I ask her.

"I had a feeling it was going to happen sooner or later, Mel. The way you two are, and how the pace of your relationship was going, I was just waiting until it actually happened. I mean, it's like you guys are already living with each other," she chuckles as she points out.

"You're not mad? Or even bummed that I'm leaving you here alone? I mean, we haven't even lived with each other for a year yet." I feel Russell take my hand under the table.

Dani scoffs, waving her hand. "Mel, I'm not mad. Yea, I'm a little bummed, but it was expected. I prepared myself for this." She smiles. "Actually, I talked about this with Daniel and Mark, and they said that when the time came for you to move in with Russell, they'll let me take the spare bedroom at their apartment."