Thirty-One

Russell POV

It was cold in Seattle, but that didn't stop the thousands of fans to come out and cheer for our win. Even at our celebration at CenturyLink, the excitement was through the roof. After the team's celebration on the field, we all filed into the locker room.

"Man! I will never get tired hearing the fans cheer. It gets me all pumped!" Sherm bounced up and down.

"For real! Guys, we should go out tonight, take our ladies with us too," Earl suggested.

Everyone agreed. I smiled, digging through my pocket for my phone. Mel was supposed to call or text me once she got here, but when I checked my phone, there was nothing. There was, in fact, a bunch of missed calls from Dani.

"So you in for tonight, Russ? I'm gonna bring Dani along so that Mel knows someone there," Kam patted my shoulder.

"Huh? Yea," I was distracted. Something wasn't sitting right with me. "Hold up, bro. Something isn't right. I've got like 12 missed calls from Dani."

I feel Kam look over my shoulder and some of the guys huddle around me. Just then, the door of the locker room opens, entering a guard followed by Daniella. Her worried look had us all alarmed immediately. Kam first rushed to her, but then she rushed over to me.

"Please tell me that Mel is here," she sounds breathless and worried.

I look down at her confused. "Not that I know of. She's supposed to bring the car here earlier and meet me here, but I haven't heard from her."

Dani puts a hand on her forehead, pacing and now extremely troubled about something. The guys behind me start mumbling, also curious to what is going on. I dial my girl's number, and it goes straight to voicemail. I do it again, and again, and it ends up the same way. Now I'm getting anxious.

I run out, heading straight to the parking garage where I usually park my car, hoping that it would be there since that's where I told her to park when she gets here. I hear the guys follow, and when I get there, my stomach drops. No car.

I try calling again.

"Come on, baby. Pick up!" I keep dialing her number. I turn to Dani, hoping for some answers. "When did you last speak to her?"

"I called her once the parade started. All she said was 'hello' and then the line dropped. I thought it was lost signal, but then I called her phone again and again. It just went straight to voicemail."

I run my hands through my hair. What on earth is going on?

"Russell? Did she tell you?" Dani brings up.

I look at her, wondering what she's talking about. The guys also turn to her, waiting.

"Tell me what?"

She sighs, a pained look going across her features. "For a week now, Mel has been receiving flowers from an unknown sender. I brushed it off at first, thinking it was a fan, until I saw one of the cards that it came with. They sounded like threats. I told her to report it, but she brushed it off. She said she didn't want to attract attention, and she didn't want to stress you about it either."