Twenty-Eight

Russell had something planned for Tuesday afternoon for the both of us before he leaves the next day. I was excited since we hardly spent time with each other. I'm eating lunch in the office with Mark and Daniel when I get a phone call. I pick up, excitedly, thinking it's my boyfriend.

"Hey babe!" I answer.

"Uh, Mel? It's me, Miles," my older sister sounds both confused and amused at the same time.

How embarrassing. I smile sheepishly at my mistake. "Hey, Miles," I laugh. "What's up?"

She laughs. "Sorry I wasn't the one who you were expecting a call from, but I have a huge favor to ask."

"Sure, what do you need?"

"Can you watch the kids today by any chance?" I hear the plea in her tone.

My smile drops. "Uh, today? Can't you drop them off at dad's or something?" I have plans with my boyfriend.

"I would, but Dad is doing errands all day and isn't at the house. And I don't just want to dump them on Em since she has her event that she's going to tonight. If you're busy, I understand. I'm sure you want to hang with Russell before he leaves tomorrow."

Now I feel guilty. "No, no, it's alright. I'll take them. I get off at three, so just drop them by my place then."

"Are you sure?" she sounds hesitant.

I sigh. "Yes, I'm sure. I'll see you at my place later. I have to get back to work now."

"Thank you, sis. Love you!"

I smile. "Love you too."

I set my phone down and groan, rubbing my cheeks. My two friends look at me funny, wondering what's going on. I tell them of my situation, then pick up my phone again to tell my boyfriend. It rings twice before he answers.

"Hello to you, beautiful," he greets.

I giggle. "And hello to you, handsome." Daniel and Mark roll their eyes and I childishly stick my tongue out at them.

Russell chuckles before he continues. "What's up? Any reason to your call or did you just miss me again?"

I roll my eyes. "Oh, whatever. But I do have a reason for the call. Seems like I have to cancel on our date today babe. I can't go out. My sister asked to babysit and I'm the only one available."

I hear him sigh, obviously down that his plans won't push through. "No, that's alright baby. Since we can't go out, I guess we will just stay in."

"But I will have the kids with me."