Seven

What?! Two chapters for two different stories in one night?! What is this nonsense?! Today has been a good day. I'm in a creative and generous mood. So enjoy!

In the couple of hours I watched the guys practice, I have definitely learned a lot. I’m not a pro with knowing all the concepts and stuff, but I can get the basics. I sit in the stands, close to the benches when the coach calls the team in for a small huddle. I’ve also met a few more of the players, who are all super nice. When they find out that I’m the same girl that they tease Russell about, they upped the ante on the teasing.

Poor Russell, but I couldn’t help but smile and laugh at his discomfort and embarrassment. Feeling a bit playful and wanting to add fuel to the teasing. I motioned Russell to come over when it was break for them. I had a towel and a water bottle in hand, giving him the drink first, then I dabbed his sweat with the towel while he drank. His eyes locked with mine, and for a moment, l forgot about my plan. Then I heard the guys in the background howling, and I slowly smirked at Russ. He choked up on his water and stumbled back to his team. I sat back and laughed so hard.

I went to find the ladies room and freshen up. I got a text from Dani and I told her where I was. Obviously, she was jealous and a bit mad, but she’ll get over it. As I walked back out, someone was out there waiting for me, causing me to jump in surprise.

“Whoa! I didn’t see you there Earl,” I saw him standing on the side.

“Didn’t mean to scare you short-stuff. You weren’t at your spot earlier, and some of us, or should I say someone, was a bit worried,” he hinted as his lips curved up into a sly smile.

I crossed my arms. “Well, as a human being, nature called. There’s no need for him to worry,” I pout.

Earl laughs. “He knows that. And we all told him, but let’s give him a break and get back to the field. We’re having lunch now.” He escorts me the way I came, back to the group.

The entire team is sitting in the stands now, munching on sandwiches and other foods. Earl maneuvers a way back to my spot where Russell is sitting, along with the guys from breakfast and the others I met. When he sees me, I swear I saw relief go through him. I sit by him, and he offers me half of his sandwich. Shyly, I thank him, aware of the audience watching our interaction.

“You’re not bored are you?” Russ asks.

“Not at all. I think I’m finally getting the game,” I tell him as I finish the sandwich.

“Well that’s good. But you’ve been sitting here for the past couple of hours, I thought you left.”

“No. I needed to use the ladies room. Drinking a lot of water can make you want to pee,” I say.

Russell chuckles. “That’s true. We only have an hour left to practice. Then we can head out.”

I nod just as Coach Carroll calls all the boys for the last practice play. As they leave off to the field, I get comfortable in my seat again and watch. I can see Russell into the game, even if it’s just practice. He is such a leader, and I could see it when he directs the other players. As soon as I know it, they call it a day. Russ runs over to me and says he’ll go shower quickly and meet me here where I’m supposed to stay put.