One

“Come on! You needed the distraction, and now that we’re here, you can’t back down! Besides, you promised me weeks ago since I needed someone to come with me to volunteer!”

I look over to my best friend Daniella, pouting. Just an hour ago, she literally dragged my ass out of bed, dressed me up, handed me a travel mug and stuffed me in her car to drive to Seattle’s Children Hospital. I love her to death and all, but her manhandling me was totally unnecessary.

“I can tell you’re glaring at me through your sunglasses, Mel. I made you your favorite coffee, ease up a little. Girl, you needed to get out of the apartment. We’ve only just moved in a couple of days ago, you’ve hardly unpacked, and you’ve been moping around after your break up.”

I sighed. “I know, and I’m sorry. I just need time.”

“You’ve had your time. I gave you all last week, the weekend, plus yesterday to recover. I’m putting my foot down. We’ve graduated from college, moved into the city, and are now living together, just like we planned. It’s a new beginning. Don’t let your breakup with Nick ruin this new start for us,” Dani reached over for my hand and gave a puppy dog look.

I felt a smile tug on my lips. I can never resist her. “Fine. For you, I’ll do it. But don’t expect me to be fully interactive.”

She squeals and leans over to hug me. “Yay! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now let’s go!”

We get out of the car and walk towards the hospital. It’s still hard to believe how much our lives have changed. It feels as if it was just yesterday that we started our college careers, and now, we’re out in the real world, living our dreams. Dani got her degree in family studies and social services while I got mine in accounting and marketing. We’ve always talked about living together in the city after college, and here we are. I’m still working on my Master’s online through the university while Dani is job hunting.

A few weeks ago, Dani’s advisor called her up and said there was a great opportunity to help out at the Children’s hospital that would look great on her resume. Since we were moving up here, it was the perfect chance. She needed someone to tag along, and since her boyfriend, Mike, was going to be busy during the week, I agreed to go. Which brings us to now.

I watch as my best friend interacts with all the children and talks with the nurses. I know she wants to work with kids, and this gives her a chance to. I see the passion in her eyes and I could see that this is her calling. I talk to some of the kids and draw with some of them as well. It breaks my heart that at such a young age, they have to suffer through this horrific condition. It’s just not fair.

I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket and I look to see the caller ID. I freeze. I look over to Dani and I signal that I was going to take this call out in the hall. She nods as I get up.

“What do you want?” I answer in the calmest, collected tone I have.

“Mel. Please, baby, just hear me out. I gave you time, just like you asked, so please. Give me a chance to talk. All you have to do is listen.” I hear Nick’s voice frantic, like he’s waiting for me to just hang up.