Five

Russell and I have texted for a couple of weeks now. It’s all been friendly banter and just talking about normal stuff. When he had time and wasn’t practicing, we’d hang out and we’d find places to chill and talk. Dani would obviously tease me and said that it could be something more happening, but I said that I still wasn’t ready to date or anything. It was still too soon and I was enjoying the company of a new friend. She said that was my same excuse I made before I started dating Nick, and I told her that it was different now and I don’t like to repeat my past experiences.

Nick has tried texting me and even got to the point to calling my friends to see how I’ve been doing. I’ve told Russell about this and got his input from a guy’s perspective. He told me that the best I could do is ignore Nick and any of his advances, and if the time comes if I ever needed help, Russell would step in.

I’m going to start my internship at an accounting firm in the city today and I’m super stoked. When I woke up in the morning, I saw a small gift basket on the kitchen counter with some salted caramel chocolates, a Starbucks gift card, a book called Accounting for Dummies, a calculator, and a good luck card. I asked Dani if she got it for me, but she denied it and thought it was from my parents. I checked the card, and after reading it, I laughed.

What do you get someone who starts an internship at an accounting firm? If you thought this was a joke, it’s not, because I was being serious. So I just put together all these things that I could find that you might like. The guys thought you might need a new calculator, even though I was sure everything you do is now computerized. But good luck today Mel! You show all those accountants what you’re made of!

                -Russell

                                P.S.: There’s a surprise for both you and Daniella on the bottom of the basket!

“Well? Is it from you’re parents?” Dani asked while she made coffee. I handed her the card and she read it. “That is so sweet! What’s at the bottom of the basket?!”

I shrugged and I started to take the things out and saw a small envelope. I looked at it quizzically and opened it. Two VIP season passes slid out onto my hand, and the next thing I know I hear screaming.

“Shut the fuck up!!! Are those for real?!” she runs to me and grabs the passes, checking them out.

“I guess they are,” I told her.

“You don’t even know how much I love you right now! You got me to move into the city with you, which is so awesome so far. And somehow fate played its cards and made you and Russell Wilson bump into each other and you guys are now friends. This is just totally awesome! Never have I thought that I would be best friends with someone who would be good friends with someone so famous!” she jumps in excitement as she goes to finish our coffees

I smile at her. “Yea, okay. I love you too girl.”

“And if you guys started to date! Oh, my, Lord! There’s just so much to take!” Dani dramatically fans herself.