Thirty-Two

"Why are you doing this?" I ask him when he took the tape off. I felt weak and woozy.

Nick has carried me into a small house, way outside Ellensburg. I recognized the area when I saw the windmills. He apparently bought the house after our break-up last year, hoping that it would be enough for us to live in together if we got back together. And obviously, that didn't happen.

He set me down on a bed in a bedroom, not even bothering to untie me. Instead, he got more rope and tied my wrists to the headboard. Nick then smiled down at me, bringing his hand up to caress my cheek. I flinched away, not wanting to be touched.

"Let me go," I demand, pulling on my restraints.

"Don't be like that Mel. You're back where you belong, here with me. You're not meant to live that kind of life with a man like that. He can't give you everything you want."

I glare up at Nick. "You have no right to tell me how my life should be lived. Now let me go. You're ruining not just my life, but yours Nick. What do you think will happen when they find out it's you behind all this."

He stands, shrugging nonchalantly. "That's the thing Melissa. No one will find out. I have a good alibi. How could I be the one to take you if I was in class today? I have no business in Seattle, and everyone who knows me, think that I've been stuck in the library studying for midterms. Also, your phone has been off, so no one can track it." He turns and walks to the bedroom door. "You're all mine, Mel, and you can't escape me this time. It's getting late. I have class in the morning, so I'll see you later baby."

He shuts the door after giving me a deranged smile. I try pulling on the restraints, but to no avail.

Tears start to pool my eyes as I begin to feel helpless by the second. It was my stupidity that I kept ignoring those notes. I should have reported it, and all this could have been avoided.

I hate it here. I miss the city, my friends, and my boyfriend. Russell fills up my mind and I cry. I want him here. I need to be in his arms where I can feel safe and secure.

As time goes by, I feel my stomach grumble. That asshole didn't even feed me. I wonder why it's so late at night now, but I figure that Nick might have taken backroads and detours to avoid any law enforcement. I shut my eyes and lay down to a somewhat comfortable position. Tears flow the rest of the night, and I think I cry myself to sleep.

I felt like I didn't get any rest at all. I'm stirred awake by someone petting my head. I open my eyes, turning my head to look up at the person. Ugh, I forgot I was taken by this asshole. I flinch away from Nick and his unwanted touch. It's like he's treating me like some frightened animal.

"Good morning, beautiful. I figured you might want something to eat before I go to class." He gets up to leave the room and soon comes back with a plate of toast and a glass of juice. I sit up slowly, staying quiet. Nick unties me from the bed, but keeps my wrists bound. He sets the plate on my lap and the glass on the bedside table.

As hungry as I am, I stare at the plate, not really wanting to eat the food he made. I'm not going to cooperate while he still has me captive.