One Shot- Chocolate Cake

Melissa POV

I had a feeling that if I ever got pregnant, my hormones and cravings would be through the roof. And I was right, because here I am, four months in to my pregnancy, rummaging through my kitchen looking for something to eat.

But I can't find anything I want! The struggle is getting way too real.

It's a nice, Friday evening in August, and I need to start on dinner so that it's ready by the time my husband comes home from practice. Maybe some pasta salad? I hope it's good enough since Russ has to watch what he eats now that the season is starting.

An hour later as I add the final seasonings to the salad, I hear a car pull up into the drive.

"Baby?" Russ calls out from the front door.

"In the kitchen," I reply back.

Strong arms wrap around me from behind and his head rests on my shoulder. He kisses my cheek and gently rubs the little bump forming in my tummy.

"So, how was your day, baby? Feel better?" He starts getting plates out and sets the breakfast bar so that we could eat.

"It was better than yesterday. I didn't feel sick at all, but I keep on munching on everything!" I serve the pasta on the plates then make my way to go sit next to him. "Nothing satisfies this child Russell. I have looked all over this kitchen and through our pantry. I think I've tried everything, but nothing!" I pout as I play with the pasta.

"I've heard that it's normal to get cravings, but I didn't know it would be hard to actually find what it is you really want. Or what the baby really wants."

I sigh as I sit there, picking at the food in front of me. Not even this is good enough. It doesn't even seem appetizing. Russell seems to enjoy it as he's clearing his plate. I offer mine to him since I really don't want it, but then he gets all concerned that I haven't eaten anything. I roll my eyes. I literally just told him that I've been eating all day. I head up to our room to get ready for bed as he clears up the kitchen. Maybe I just need to sleep this off.

I wake up with a nagging feeling, and it's probably because my stomach is growling. I turn my head to see that the clock saying it's just after midnight. Looking over to my right, Russell is fast asleep on his back, his head turned away from me. Slowly and quietly, I get out of bed and make my way downstairs.

For the millionth time, I start to rummage through the kitchen. This is so frustrating. Leaning against the island, I look down at my bump, rubbing it.

"Please, baby. Just tell mommy what you want. I can't take this anymore." I frustration is sky high that I'm close to breaking down. I get my phone and go through my Instagram to find some sort of clue to see what I'm craving for. And just as I scroll down, that's when it hit me. I know what the baby wants! But we don't have it in the house.

Russell POV

After clearing up the kitchen and fixing my duffel bag in the office, I head up to get ready for bed. As I enter the room, my beautiful wife is already in bed, out like a light.

She's been complaining that she's starting to feel and look like a cow, but the guys who have kids tell me that it's normal. I just have to be there for her, and in my opinion, she still looks gorgeous to me. I go over to kiss her forehead and her little bump before I get ready for bed.

Later that night, I wake up to turn to my side and reach over to Mel. My arm is met with empty space next to me and I open my eyes to see that she isn't there. I look over to the bathroom to see if the lights are on, but they aren't.