Six

I'm in a good mood today. So why not?!

“I can’t believe you get Fridays off at your internship! I’m so jelly!” Dani complained as she got ready for hers.

I was actually making breakfast for us and I was in a good mood. The week went by great. I was enjoying my internship and was learning a lot of new things. The people I worked with were very nice and my supervisor said that my performance was really good for just starting out.

Nick hasn’t contacted me again ever since he showed up on Monday and after Russ showing him up. Since it was the week before the team’s first game, Russell’s been more busy than usual. He needed to get into that mindset and as the one who can lead the team to victory, he needed focus. That didn’t mean that he stopped texting me, but he couldn’t find time to hang out.

I didn’t mind, as I was busy myself and understood his position. I went to spend time with my parents earlier this week and they were planning to do something for my birthday on Sunday. I told them that we didn’t have to celebrate it, but they insisted, so I agreed to dinner. I told them that I already had plans with Dani around lunchtime: we were going to the game.

“Girl, just eat,” I told her. “Quit complaining. At least the week is almost done with. You can look forward to the game on Sunday.”

“Oh yea! And it’s your birthday too! Damn, I can’t believe you’re turning 23 already!”

I throw her a glare. “Shut up! You’re making feel so old.”

She giggles as she eats. “So… What’s Russell getting you?”

I raise an eyebrow at her question.

“You know… for your birthday? Does he even know it’s your birthday on Sunday?!”

I shrug. “I don’t know. I told him when it was, but I don’t think he remembers. Besides, I wasn’t planning to do anything. My parents just decided to have just the family and a few friends for a small dinner party at the house. You’re coming by the way,” I inform her.

“Oh, ok. Well you never know with Russell. He seems like the type to surprise you, like with that basket. I haven’t seen him in a while, but I guess that’s because everyone is prepping for Sunday’s game. But anyways, I’m going to get ready. Thanks for breakfast girl!” Dani jumps off the stool and skips to her room.

I turn on some music and connect to speakers while I clean up. As I finish the dishes, I hear knocks at the door. Shit, I hope it isn’t Nick again. I don’t have Dani here to face him if it is him at the door. Cautiously, I walk up and check through the peephole, but again, it’s covered.

“Who is it?” I ask, but all I get back is a knock.

Mustering all the confidence in my body, and trying to look pissed and annoyed, I open the door wide open. The last thing I expected was to be lifted off the ground over someone’s shoulders and being carried into the living room.