Ten

“Mel.”

I groan and turn over, trying to move away from the voice I’m hearing. Ugh, what is this light?

“Melissa.” The voice sounds louder.

“Go away,” I moan. It’s too early. I need sleep.

Finally, the voice is gone, and I feel sleep coming back to me. Sweet, sweet sleep.

All of a sudden, my comforter is yanked off of me and instant coldness sweeps over my body. I sit up quickly, finding the first person to glare at. Daniella, standing there, is holding my comforter and smirking at me.

“You bitch,” I hiss and go back lying in bed, gathering the closest pillows around me to keep me warm. I shove my face into another pillow to hide from the brightness of the daylight.

“I told you,” I hear Dani tell someone. I then hear her walk over to the other side of my room and hear the curtains open. Then she yanks the pillow near my face away and hits me with it. “Girl, get up! You need to get moving and get ready.”

I groan heavily and pout. “Fine! Please, just close the curtains. It hurts,” I complain, while I cover my eyes with my arm. I sense the curtains closing and I can finally relax. I stay in my position a little bit longer, until I feel a pillow thrown at me, hard.

“Up! Now!” Dani says as she grabs my arms, pulling up into a seating position. I open my eyes slowly to glare at her. “Don’t glare at me like that. You know you have to get up.” She stands up to move away, and replacing her spot is Russell.

If I wasn’t so tired and grumpy, his amused expression would have made me smile. I could also tell he was trying to hold back a laugh. I may be interested in the guy, but right now, I’m just annoyed.

Suddenly, he lifts up a big mug of coffee, grabbing my hands and setting the mug in them. Slowly, I feel my annoyance going away as the sweet, aromatic smell of coffee invades my senses. I take my first sip and instantly feel calmer. I sigh in contentment and keep drinking.

“Now I believe you Dani,” he turns and says to my best friend, who is now standing by the doorway.

“Oh, this isn’t that bad. If she doesn’t get enough hours of sleep in, and then you wake her up in the morning… pft, good luck!”

About half way through my mug, I feel my body more awake. “You know, I am right here guys. And now that I have some caffeine coursing through my veins, you are definitely going to get it Daniella.” I look straight at her. She smiles and waves as she walks away. Shaking my head, I go back to drinking my coffee as Russell picks up the comforter and sets in back on the bed. He then walks out of my room but soon comes back with another mug and a blueberry muffin.

I look at the muffin and feel my tummy churning. I scoot over a bit for him to sit next to me, which he does. I notice that he’s changed into jeans and a blue button down. I look at the time and its 7:45 am.