Epilogue

Above is the wedding dress I envisioned.

December 12. The irony wasn't lost to me when our wedding date was decided. After all the stressful months of planning, today is finally the day I'm going to be married to the man of my dreams.

I'm sitting in the back room of the church, in my beautiful wedding gown as the wedding planner is directing the rest of the entourage through her headset. My heart is pounding as I hear her say that everyone is going to start down the aisle. Not a moment too soon, my dad enters the room. He looks at me and I see him smile and tear up.

"Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be walking you down the aisle, Melissa. Russell better knows how lucky he is to end up with someone so wonderful."

I glide over to my dad, trying to hold in all the emotions. "I've been told not to cry before the ceremony, and you're really making it hard Daddy." We both laugh and he leans forward, kissing my forehead. He and my wedding planner help bring my veil over my head, and now its show time.

When the doors open to the church, the beauty of all the elegant decorations draw me breathless. Everyone one is standing, turned towards me as I am escorted down the aisle. My family and friends are all smiling, and I return the favor. As I near the alter, my eyes are focused on the one man I'm to spend the rest of my life with. He looks dapper in his black tuxedo, his blue vest, and blue tie. The groomsmen are dressed similarly, but they're wearing a lighter shade of blue. My entourage are also wearing the same color in long gowns.

I'm slightly shaking as my dad hands me over to Russell. This wedding is very traditional, and so far, it's what I always dreamed it would be. As it comes to the vows, we turn towards each other, smiling. I brace myself, pre-warned that I might cry, even though I was confident that I would only go so far as tearing up.

"A little over a year ago, I was just doing a routine visit at SCH, just trying to make every child's day there and put a smile on their faces. Little did I know, that that one day, I'd bump into a girl that would put a smile on my face every single day since? You were an enigma from day one, and I couldn't get you out of my head. Every day I spent with you, every day I got to know you, my heart swelled. I was finding myself falling in love with you, even though everyone was saying that it was moving too fast. I knew that, and you knew that, but we let it happen anyways. You don't have to doubt that I'll always be there for you. I'll be your shoulder to cry on, your knight in shining armor, the only one to make you smile and laugh. I'll stick by you when you're hurting, when you're frustrated, or when you have your crazy moods." Everyone laughs at that, and already I'm tearing up as I smile at Russell. "I'm not going anywhere, baby."

"Melissa, you know I never make promises that I don't keep, but today, as I stand here in front of all our family and friends, I only have one to make for you. I vow to love you and only you for the rest of our lives, and I'll never let one day, or even one minute, go by without reminding you how much I love you."

And here come the water works. How the hell am I supposed to follow that? Russell sure does have a way with words. I quickly gather myself up right before I start.

"I'm not one to cry so easily, but it seems only you can do that to me. There are so many words to describe my feelings today, but one just sticks out. Lucky. How did I ever become so lucky to end up with someone like you? I had everything planned out in my life, but you were the one I never thought to consider, and you came along, turning everything upside down. You bring out the best in me and you accept me for who I am. I can't promise you everything will be easy, Russell, and you know that. I know we'll have our ups and downs, but we'll always come to that middle ground. Every single day, my love for you just grows, and like you, I promise to always love you and only you for the rest of our lives." Russell smiles down lovingly at me as I finish.