Thirteen

The weekend passed smoothly. I kept out of the public eye for the most part, and when I did go out, I tried to be inconspicuous. Russell texted me every chance he had. It was sweet of him to, but I told him to focus on the game and assured him that everything was going well on my end. On game day, Dani invited Mike over and the three of us watched the game. It was a pretty intense game, but unfortunately, we lost.

When it was over, I texted Russell. –Good game. You did well out there, and I’m proud of you!

I knew I’d be waiting a while for a reply back. The rest of that day, I chilled with Dani. It was nice to have some girl time. Before I went to bed, Russ texted back. –Thanks Mel. It means a lot coming from you. I’ll see you soon J

The team was scheduled to be back Monday afternoon. I was busy balancing both my internship and my classes that Russ and I didn’t have a chance to meet up. We talked only on the phone and he would always check up on me if I had eaten or not.

By Thursday, my work load has lightened up. I was at the office, sorting through papers when my supervisor comes up to me.

“Miss Cordova,” he calls to my attention.

“Yes, sir?” I look up.

“Your performance since you’ve been here has been excellent. You’ve caught on fairly quickly, and all the while being on top of your studies, you’ve done nothing but keep working hard.”

“Thank you.”

“So, to follow up on what I’ve just said, I have a special job for you. I would like you to help and supervise a couple of new interns that have come in today. Show them the ropes on what they’ll be doing today. Show them around the building, and after that, you are free to go home for the weekend,” he smiles.

I was astonished. “Really sir?”

“Yes, think of it as me promoting you from a regular intern, to a paid intern. You’ve impressed me, Miss Cordova, and I think this company will have a huge benefit if we hire you in the end.”

I swear, I was smiling so big, my cheeks were starting to hurt. “Thank you, sir!”

“So, am I to assume correctly that you will take the job?”

I nod enthusiastically. He motions me to follow him out to the front lobby. I see two guys sitting on the waiting chairs, facing away from me. My supervisor clears his throat as he walks in front of them.

“Gentlemen, I apologize for you waiting. This young lady here will be showing you around today and if you have any questions, please feel free to go to her. I have to go to a meeting now, so I will see you on Monday.” He turns and leaves.

As the two guys turn to me, my jaw drops and I cover my mouth in surprise. “No fucking way!” I laugh.

“Mel?!” The two guys both say in surprise as they see me, then start smiling.