Fourteen

So far, dinner was going well. At first, Dani wanted to catch up with the boys, and since I heard this all earlier this afternoon, I kept a conversation with Mike and Russ. Soon enough, all the boys were talking with each other, mostly about sports and stuff, asking Russell about the game. It made me smile to see him interact with my childhood friends.

Dani and I shooed the boys to the living room where they could continue talking while we cleaned up. They insisted with helping, but when we both glared at all of them at the same time, they immediately listened and back away.

“It’s crazy how both Daniel and Mark end up interning at the same place you’re at. I haven’t seen them in ages!” Dani said as she started the dishes.

“Hah! I know. And I’m the one in charge of supervising them for a few weeks,” I chuckle.

We both look over at the group of guys, who are all talking and watching TV. A funny thought comes to mind when I see them all together.

“Remember when you had a huge crush on Daniel? And now looking over there, he’s sitting in the same room as your boyfriend?” I smile at her. She scoffs and nudges me with her elbow.

“Oh sure. Remember when you and Mark were a thing, and then you both didn’t fess up in high school so you both lost your chance with each other. Now he’s sitting in the same room as the guy who is currently pining for your heart?” She smirks.

I look over at both Russ and Mark. They’re sitting next to each other, getting along. Daniel’s words earlier come back to me, bringing back my earlier confusion. I guess Dani saw the troubled look on my face because she stopped washing, pulling me to face her.

“What’s wrong?” she has that concern look in her eye.

I tell her everything that Daniel told me earlier at the restaurant. I make sure to stay quiet so that I guys don’t hear us. Dani’s eyes go wide and looks over at the men.

“Holy fuck dude!” She whisper yells.

I shrug, not knowing how else to react. From the corner of our eyes, we see the guys get up. I mouth ‘later’ to her and we turn to them, smiling.

“So we’re going to head out ladies,” Mike said. He walked over to Dani, pulling her aside.

“Yea, it’s getting late. So we’ll see you guys later. It was nice meeting you Mike. You too, Russell.” Mark waved at us as he walked towards the door. Daniel bid the same and the four of us waved as they left.

Russell and I walked to the door, a distance away from Mike and Dani as they said their goodbyes. He took my hand in his, and I looked up at him, smiling.

“I’m glad we met up today. God only knows how much I missed your constant presence,” he said.

“Oh, I know. I can see it in your eyes and your movement on how much you missed being with me,” I smirk. We both chuckle after.