Thirty-Three

Nick only has one class today, but its two hours. I'm pacing around the bedroom, hoping that something will happen soon. I'm also praying hard that my phone was tracked, because if not, my efforts were pointless.

I miss home, so much. I feel like I'm getting anxious by the minute. If Nick comes back sooner, then my plan failed. How did this ever happen to me?

I had my life planned out when I graduated. I moved to the city with my best friend; I'm still working on my Master's degree, and I have an internship at a firm doing the thing I enjoy. The only thing I didn't plan on was falling in love so hard and so fast. Especially with a sports celebrity.

I knew the risks of getting involved with someone like Russell Wilson. I'd be targeted by the public eye, and privacy was just going to be totally disregarded. That just wasn't my thing. I liked being private and being able to do what I want, when I want, and where I want. Turns out life had a different plan for me.

No one can expect to find the one you want to be with just like that. It can take years to find them, and then years to get to know them and trust that there the one you're meant to end up with. But after I broke up with Nick, fate played its cards quickly and I met Russell just a couple of weeks after. I got to know him as a person and we didn't hold anything back with each other.

I was myself with him, and that's the best part. He lets me be who I want to be, and he supports it. That's all I could ask for in a guy, and they can expect the same in return. It's a give and take relationship, and after all he's done for me, I'll gladly be there for him 100%.

In all the silence in the house, I jump at the sound of doorknobs jiggling and then the doors opening and slamming shut. I sit up, alarmed. My door opens next and Nick walks in frantically.

"We're going. Now." He grabs my arm and leads me out of the house to the car.

"Ow! Nick! Stop! What's going on?" I try to shove his hand off my arm. His grip is too tight, and I feel a bruise is going to form.

"Shut up! Just get in the car." He shoves me in the front seat and runs around to the driver's side. He pulls out of the drive and turns right on the road, speeding. "Fuck!"

Confused, I quickly look around. Looking at the side view mirror, I see a couple of cop cars way behind us, but I think they're gaining speed. I squint and also spot a familiar black SUV. My heart jumps.

I turn to Nick. "It's over Nick. Just stop this now. You can't win."

He's so angry right now, but he has no intention of stopping. I feel the car pick up speed. "Just shut up Mel! I finally have you back with me, and I'm not going to give up easily. I'll lose them, no worries. But I'm not losing you again."

"You've already lost me Nick! You have no chance of getting back!" He's not slowing down. I look behind me and the cops have their lights and sirens on. This is not going to end well. I have to do something, and I know now. I see Russell's car, and my eyes water. God, please watch over me and give me strength.