Nine

The rest of the party continues on as I pull Russell back outside to talk to him.

“Uh, how,” is all I can ask him.

“Well, I’ve been talking to Dani and she asked me to come to a party. I figured it was yours and she also convinced me it would be a good time to meet your family,” he smiles as if everything is normal. I, on the other hand, am freaking out.

I try to formulate some words, but I just can’t seem to. Russell can see my internal struggle, so he takes my hands in his and calms me down.

“Melissa, chill. This is the perfect opportunity for me to get your family’s blessing to date you. Everyone is here, and I can show my good intentions. I know you may think this is too soon since we literally just started dating, but you have nothing to worry about. Remember, we’re taking things slow. One step at a time, okay?” He looks into my eyes, waiting for my reassurance.

I nod. “Okay.” I turn back towards the house, and through the window, I catch everyone dispersing quickly. Turning back to Russ, I hold out my hand to lead him inside. “But I have to warn you, this isn’t going to be easy. My family can be very… inquisitive.”

He puts on a brave face. “Challenge accepted.”

When we get back inside, I lead him to the back porch, telling him to wait while I get my siblings. My parents can wait, I’ll start him off easy. Once we’re all outside, I introduce him to my brothers and my little sister. Miles had already met him so she stood off to the side.

Russ was doing well, or so I thought. I was holding his hand, and I could feel how tense he was. The nerves were there, but no one could tell. Obviously my brothers were initially shocked to see that I was dating the Seahawks quarterback, and were also in awe that they were in his presence, but after that all went away, the protective modes came on.

The usual questions were thrown at Russ: his intentions, his work schedule, if he will have time for me. They also warned him not to hurt me in anyway, and just because he was a public figure doesn’t give him the right to mistreat me. I couldn’t help but glare at my brothers, but since I didn’t grow up with them, they weren’t there to do the ‘older brother’ duties. Since moving to the city, they’ve been protective more and taking their duties to heart.

“So are you guys done now?” I ask them.

They size up Russell, and I can’t help but stand in front of him as to defend him. Then they all smile and nod.

“We’re good Melissa,” my brother, Marvin, smiles at us. They all go inside, in a good mood, after I hug them.

Turning back to Russ, I smile, which he returns back. “Well that wasn’t so bad,” he said.

I roll my eyes and smirk. “Says the guy who was tense and shaking from nerves. Don’t deny it,” I quickly said as I saw him about to say something. “You were holding my hand the entire time and I could feel it.”

He rubs the back of his head, a little bit embarrassed. “Well, you’re brothers do look kind of intimidating. Your little sister has that same intense look that you do. I couldn’t tell if she was impassive or stern.”