Twenty-Two

I’m having a blast with Russell’s family. They are all super nice and welcoming. What really got me was that they’d always share funny stories about Russell and when he was growing up.  I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard.

On Christmas Eve, I felt the need to go do something special. I asked Russell to take me to the store where I could buy a bouquet of flowers. I asked Mama Wilson if it was alright with her, and if it was a good idea, and she just nodded, smiling through her tears.

“Honey, you are the sweetest girl Russell has ever been involved with. He is so lucky to have found someone as thoughtful as you,” he hugged me tight.

Everyone came along: Russ, his siblings, and his mom. I felt like an outsider in the car, but Russell made sure that wasn’t the case. After a twenty minute drive from the house, we made it to the cemetery his father was buried. I felt the quiet, somber mood of the family as we walked to his gravestone.

We stopped in front a beautiful monument, dedicated to Russell’s dad. I looked up at my boyfriend, and I’ve never seen so much emotion in his features. I kissed his shoulder, unlinking my hand from his, and walked forward to place the flowers down.

First, his sister spoke, then his brother, then finally his mom.

“Sweetheart,” Mama Wilson spoke to the grave. “Merry Christmas. You know every single day that I wish you were here. Your kids are doing just fine as you can see. You could have met Russ’ new girlfriend. It was her idea to come here. You can see why our boy is so smitten with this one. She would have gotten your approval immediately, just like how she got ours,” she smiles down. “I love you, so much.” She kisses her fingers, then touched the gravestone. She walks away, pulling the other two with her, giving Russ and me some privacy.

I hold Russell’s hand giving all the comfort he needs. I stand there quietly, giving him time.

“Hey Dad,” he croaks. “Just like Mama said, I really wish you were here. We all miss you. A lot has happened. I have a contract with the Seahawks now, so I get to play with them longer. Got to make them notice, right? You would have loved Seattle. The people there are amazing.”

He moves to wrap his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. “I met an amazing woman. I didn’t think that I could love again after the last time. But I patiently waited, knowing that He will say when it was the right time for me. And I’m glad that I waited, Dad. This is Melissa, and you would have loved her. Her kind heart and her strong belief in me reminded me so much of how you believed in all of us. So don’t worry so much, Dad. I think she will fit right in with us.”

Russell’s smile is a bit sad when I look up at him. I wrap my arms around him, hugging him tightly. I turn my head slightly, looking down at the grave.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Wilson,” I smile down softly. “I’ll always be there for Russell. He’s been there for me, and has taught me so much in the short time that we’ve known each other. But I feel like I’ve known him my whole life. I think he’s shaped up to be a great man, and I’m sure he got it from you.”

Russell hugs me tight, resting his cheek on my head. I know he looked up to his dad while growing up. He was Russ’s inspiration. I know I can’t relate with him on a certain level since I still have both my parents alive, but I can understand how he’s feeling.