Chapter Twenty Three

Unedited

"It's gonna start pouring soon." Max says as the thunder rolls, drawing your attention to the gray sky.

Something about the rain always comforts you. Sometimes it feels like a wave of revitalization washing over you. For a moment, you close your eyes, letting out a deep breath. There's a certain smell mixing into your senses. It's that particular smell when it's about to rain.

"We should be at the mall, or like, watching a movie or something." The little red head continues as you all continue walking.

"You don't believe us?" El questions, looking over at Max.

"I believe you saw some super weird stuff, totally, but you said Mike has sensed you in there before, right?" Max explains as you three cut through some vibrant green grass, El nodding, "So maybe it was like that. Maybe Billy just...sensed you somehow."

"But the screams." El states.

"Yeah, I know, here's the thing." She pauses, looking over at you, "When Billy is alone with a girl, they make, like, really crazy noises."

You roll your eyes at the thought of Billy hooking up with some girl that isn't you. A small crack grows in your heart when you think about it.

"They weren't like that, Max." You state a bit coldly as you all come up on her house.

The wind puffs your hair back as another clap of thunder sounds from the sky. No cars are here. You swallow, remembering Billy being caught with you in the room. There was so much fear in him when his father found your jacket. The look in his eye was that of pure terror...sort of like the look he gave you yesterday.

"His car's not here." Max says as she and El walk to either side of you. She places her hand on the back of your upper arm, "you really wanna do this?"

You don't answer, just walk through the grass and up to the door, using your mind to unlock it. With the two girls behind you, you hurry inside and quickly make it to Billy's bedroom door where his music is playing lightly.

"Why do I feel like we're gonna find all kinds of wrong in here?" Max asks as you all make it into the room.

You scan the room, taking in the small mess. Your eyes land on an ash tray filled with some cigarette butts resting on top of the radio. Next to it is a hamper full of dirty laundry. Last time you were here, you and Billy had gotten locked in his room together. Why does it seem like you're only in his house after a breakup?

A small smile makes its way to your lips as you spot the small picture collage taped to Billy's mirror. There are ones of the two of you together where you look your happiest and ones where he caught you off guard. He hasn't taken them down yet. The smile fades as the heartbreak comes back. Your eyes take a gander at the walls, noticing the band posters but the one of the woman in the red bikini is gone.

You decide to start searching for anything and everything with El and Max, but there's nothing, aside from Billy's old porno magazines in his nightstand and lighters. You decide to check out the bathroom, the girls following behind you yet again. You turn on the light before fully walking into the bathroom.

The blue tub is filled with water, empty bags of ice floating around in it. You're not going to freak out yet since Billy works out like crazy.

"Max?" El questions as she stares into the water.

Max moves to your other side, leaning down, "Ice. It's just ice." She says as she pulls up an empty bag, "Probably for his muscles or something. He works out like a maniac."