Chapter Ten

You sit up, rubbing your eyes. Last night you had to sleep on Joyce's bedroom floor since the couch is covered in paper. It's so damn cold inside that you had to sleep in your leather jacket, which isn't really good for keeping you warm.

You get up and head into the hallway. As you do, Will and Mike do the same. Will is all sweaty, his hair is sticking to his head, and he looks like he's seen a ghost.

"You okay, kid?" You question as you all start walking down the hallway.

"I—I don't know." Will answers as the three of you spot Joyce sitting on the floor, looking around at the tunnels.

She's just studying the tunnels. Will walks up to her. "Mom?" He says, but she doesn't answer. "Mom?" He tries again with no answer. "Mom?" He puts a hand on her shoulder.

She quickly turns to him. "Yeah?"

"I saw him." Will states.

"You saw who, baby?" Joyce questions.

"Hopper. I think he's in trouble. I think he's going to die." Will explains, looking his mom in the eyes .

Everything seems to slow down around you. Your heart is beating quickly and your breathing is quickened. Hopper is in trouble. Even though you're made at him, you're not going to let him get hurt, or possibly die.

You close your eyes. "Hop, can you hear me? Where are you?" You use your powers. When he doesn't answer, your stomach seems to turn inside out. "Hopper!" He still doesn't answer.

"He's not answering me." You state, everyone turning their attention to you.

Joyce stands up with worry on her face. "You—you tried your mind thing?"

You nod. "But maybe I can access his memories." You say, folding your arms over your chest.

"Do what?" Mike questions. "You can do that now?"

You shrug. "I think I've always been able to do it, but it just never seemed to be able to channel it, or something." You shake your head. "That's not important." Your eyes land on Will. "Do you know where you saw Hopper?"

Will nods. "I think."

"Good. Go draw it and I'll be there in a second." You say as you sit down on the floor.

They don't waste time doing what they're told. Swiftly, they all go to Will's room. You close your eyes, taking in a deep breath. You're flung into a hospital room. It's a little cold like yours was. There's a woman there. She's standing next to the hospital bed that's occupied by a little girl. The little girl has cancer from the looks of her hairless head. On the other side of her is Hopper. He's reading her a story.

That little girl must be Hopper's daughter. The one he's hinted at. Now it makes sense. Sarah isn't staying with her mother...Sarah is dead. That's why he doesn't like to talk about it.

He's laughing with her at the moment and it sort of breaks your heart. He lost his little girl. That's enough to hurt anyone forever. You walk over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Hop, I need you to help me out." You say as he talks to his daughter. "Show me the place you were last." When nothing happens, you sigh. Maybe you can change the memory on your own. You close your eyes within Hopper's memory and attempt to change it. As you do, the laughter stops and is replaced by silence.

You're even colder now. Your eyes open. Small white flakes are floating around just like in the Upside-Down. You're in a tunnel. As you look around, you spot Hopper. Above him is a hole he made, and jumped through. He turns on his flashlight and walks a bit. Something from the tunnel sprays in his face. He starts coughing hard. As you run up to him, he falls on the ground, passing out. Ahead of him is an intersection.