Chapter Thirty

Unedited

     It's been three months since Starcourt, and you've been living with the Byers family. El absolutely loves it there. She likes having Will around. They've grown quite close just as you and Jonathan have. They're a nice family, one you'd like to keep, but Joyce decided that it's time to leave Hawkins, and you can't do that. You're not willing to leave Steve, or Robin, or Dustin, or Billy. You're really not willing to leave the thought of Hopper coming back. Joyce said that she didn't see his body and she didn't see him die which means there's hope.

  You, Robin, and Steve actually got a job at a movie store in town. It was a super easy interview which you and Robin nailed, but Steve, not so much. Robin, being the great friend she is, somehow convinced the guy, Keith, to hire Steve.

  Right now, you're moving stuff out of the Byers house. You haven't told them that you plan to stay in Hawkins. You're going to miss El like crazy, but at some point she's going to have to live without you. Of course you'll visit all of the time and stuff. But your life is here in Hawkins. 

  "El, we have to talk." You say, walking into the room you two shared.

  She looks up at you with a confused expression. "Talk about what?"

  You sigh before walking up to her and placing your hands on her shoulders, "I'm not going...with you."

  "Why?"

  "I can't leave this place. I mean, this is where I belong." You answer.

  "But where are you going to live? And what if I never see you?" Her eyes redden.

  "We'll talk all of the time, I promise. And I'll visit whenever I can."

  She throws herself into your chest, causing a memory to spark in your mind.

  "I am so proud of you, Zee." He said, "You are so damn strong, kid and I don't—" he cut himself off as you slammed yourself into his chest.

  He wrapped his arms around you and gave you a squeeze. You buried your head into his chest, feeling safe in his arms. "Please be careful down there. I can't lose you."

  He chuckled, placing a hand on the back of your head, "You won't."

Tears come rushing to your eyes as well as you hold her tight just like Hop did to you. You place a hand on the back of her head.

"Will you remember me?" She asks as you hold her at arms length.

"How could I ever forget my little sister? The one I fought so damn hard to protect?" You jokingly say.

She chuckles, "It's going to be strange without you."

You nod, "I know, kiddo. But at some point, we both have to grow up, y'know, go our separate ways."

"But I don't want you to go." The tears slide down her cheeks.

"I know, El. But I promise I'll call you every night and visit all of the time. You'll be begging me to leave you alone." You jest. She laughs before you pull her in again. "I'm so proud of the woman you've become, El. You're not my snot-nosed little sister anymore."

"I'll always be your sister."

"And I'll always be there for you when you need me."

"What if I stayed with you?" She asks, looking up at you.

God, you'd love that. It could be you and El against the world, but it just can't work like that. You're not qualified to be El's guardian. Hell, you don't even have a place to live. "El, I'd love to make that happen, but I can't take care of you like Joyce can. It's harder."