Chapter Thirty Two

Your eyes nudge open, wandering around the room. You almost forgot that you're living in the cabin again. A small part of you feels better knowing that you're home again. A mumble is heard from your right. You glance over at Billy as he sleeps. He looks so peaceful and calm. It's different seeing him sleep because it looks like he's not worried about a thing, but when he's awake he's always alert.

"Not my car, you dick." He utters.

A small smile walks on your lips. You're going to let him sleep, he had a hard night with his father, but an even harder night with you in this bed. You uncover yourself, the cool air nipping at your naked body. Quietly, you open the drawer to your dresser and pick out a shirt and then open another one for your underwear. You lean down, picking up your jeans and bra before carrying them to the bathroom.

  You quickly brush your teeth and take your shower. When you dry off and get dressed, you check on Billy who's still sleeping. You chuckle, before looking at the clock, expecting it to tell you the time, but the glass is cracked and the hands aren't moving. Great, another thing you have to buy. Your feet carry you to Hopper's room, or what was his room. You push the curtain aside and make your way to his bed.

  There's no way you're packing his stuff up. What if he comes back? What if he's not really dead? You sigh, placing your head in your hands. Maybe you should try to talk to him. But what if he doesn't answer? What if he's truly gone? The hope that he comes back is more comforting than the possible truth of him being dead. You stand up, ready to walk out but something stops you. On his rack of clothing is a red Hawaiian shirt that looks exactly like the one Magnum wears in Magnum P.I. You chuckle, stuffing your hands in your pocket. A crinkling sound along with something being pressed against your fingers takes ahold of your attention.

  You pull out the letter that Joyce gave you yesterday. Hopper's letter to you. You stumble back onto his bed and take a seat. For a moment, you sit there, staring at the paper. Eventually, you open it, your eyes welling up with tears.

   Hey, kid. I just wanted to talk to you about growing up. It seems like a dream come true but it's pretty scary. But I know that you can handle it. I'm actually worried about me. You girls mean so much to me and I'm scared of you growing up. I'm scared of you having your own lives where I barely see you. Hell, it's already happening now. El and Mike are together all of the time and you have that Billy kid. My little girls are growing up. But despite me being scared, I'm also proud. I'm so proud of you. You've become such a strong young lady and I can't thank you enough for being in my life. And that Billy kid, he's alright. Just make sure he treats you good or else he'll have to deal with me. But anyway, just try to take it slow and easy for the sake of your dear old dad.

  A smile grows on your lips as tears push through your eyes. There's some sort of closure within this letter. You wipe a stripe down your face. Why did he have to do such a noble thing? Why did he have to die? You should've been there for him.

  "Hey, sweetheart," Billy says from the living room as you look over at him while he pulls up his boxers, "you okay?" He asks as he hurries over to you.

  You nod, wiping your tears. "Hop wrote me a letter a while back," you say, handing the note to him, "it just made me miss him even more."

  Billy's eyes study the note for a second before he places it beside his leg. "You're never gonna stop missing him," he begins, putting an arm around you, "it just somehow gets easier to cope with the fact that they're gone."

  You shake your head, "But what if he's not gone?"

  Billy stays silent for a few seconds, "I know it feels easier to deny this but—"